Author Topic: Again: How to join a Windows 7 client to Zentyal Domain installation  (Read 7928 times)

thorsten

Hi All,

again, the same old problem with each new installation: Just as I am sad as this is a problem with each installation - I like to summarize my problem.

Again, I installed the new Zentyal 3.0 on my server hardware and now I want to join the Domain.

• My windows 7 client was running on my Zentyal 2.2 installation perfectly - until yesterday
    • Consequently the required registry entries were set correctly
    • I joined the previoius domain with a domain Administrator accound I call "pdcadmin"
    • I left the domain by simply assignin the Workgroup "WORKGROUP" on my Clinent using the local Windows administrator account
  • I installed the new, promissing Zentyal 3.0 system, set up the File Sharing client, collecte my few users and groups and Surprise:
    • There is no checkbox to set a specifc user to be a domain admin - I swear there was something like this in Zentyal 2.2
    • OK, there is a Group called "DomainAdmin" among some others I have never defined. Also there is a samba user called "Administrator" .... OK ... fine
  • I tied to make one of my accounts as a domain admins by simply joining the account to the Group "Domain Admin"
  • I tied to joint the domain by means of my created user (I tried any) - can not join the domain
  • I tied to joint the domain by means of the user "Administrator" - can not join the domain

Oh, of course, this is a perfect plain, clean installation: I did not even touch any other setting within Zentyal before trying to join the domain. The error is:

Code: [Select]
The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Interessting: if I do not enter the the Domain to be joined correct, the error response is much faster and it says that the AD is not existant. I think the issues is somehow that I do not have an administrative user within Zentyal as I had before. I will countercheck how it worked on Zentyal 2.x - thanks good I got a hot swap system and I used complete new hard disks.. :)

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Thorsten

jase

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Again: How to join a Windows 7 client to Zentyal Domain installation
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:43:18 pm »
evening

off the top of my head:
make sure the time on Zentyal server and Windows 7 pc are in sync for kerberos
I changed the password of the Zentyal/Samba administrator account and used this to join the domain
the win 7 registry changes are not required with Zentyal 3
dns must be setup correctly for Zentyal/Samba to work correctly
the domain name should be along the lines of zentyal-domain.lan (the realm name under file sharing)

let us know how it goes

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:26 pm »
Hello,

There is still a ticket for this problem ( ticket #5313 ).
The problem occures afther an upgrade of zentyal 3.0.x.

In the begin here was no problem joining an domain for Windows 7 clients.

Best regards,
Ian

jase

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 07:55:39 pm »
Hi Ian

I'm not encountering this problem or the slow logon, H: drive not being mapped or the netbios name not being seen as mentioned in the ticket.
Has this has been fixed as my recent test install started at Zentyal 3.07 before I got the chance to configuring file sharing ?

Thanks
jason

ian

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 11:04:24 am »
Hello Jase,

I have not yet tested the latest releases of 3.0.x, but the problem of joining a domain was with release 3.0.6.

At the moment there is a problem with the latest improvements of release 3, the zentyal-dns and the Zentyal-samba new modules could not be upgraded.An error occures by upgrading the software

Best regards,
Ian

ian

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:04:00 pm »
Hello Jase,

I just did a test with a brand new installation of Zentyal from scratch, Zentyal 3.0.8 with the modules Office and communications.

It is still not possible to join a domain with a Windows 7 client ( even not with an WindowsXp client ).

It was only possible in releases 2.2 and releases before 3.0.6

So we still have to wait on the results of the adaption of the related modules.

Best regards,
Ian

jase

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:08:06 pm »
Hi Ian

I'm not having the same problem, if you have a look at my last post at http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,13171.msg54633.html#msg54633
this was with Zentyal 3.07 and it worked.
If you are still not getting in let me know and I'll install again (tomorrow) and try again, as we need to prove if there is an issue or not?
Regards
Jason

stuartiannaylor

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 08:31:51 pm »
If you would as I did try samba4 and it did work. It was samba4 I was reinstalling due to not being able to join the domain with win7 clients.

Then the DNS bug seemed to cause many probs.

I am also going to be online tomorrow and aiming purely to get a working AD domain.

I have this vain hope to also have an additional controller but we will have to see.

Any of you going to be on the forum or on IRC?

I will be at it midday till late.
Saturday morning is guardian crossword and posh coffee morning with my girl, so it will be midday before I emerge

ian

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 11:08:48 am »
Hello,
conect
As i told before, it is still not possible to join a domain with Windows 7 clients.
This problem occures since the update afther release 3.0.5, it is also not possible to join a domain with WindowsXp clients.

Joining a domain means, become a member of the domain.
While not being a member of a domain it is possible to connect to shares where a user has access to, but that is a difference than be a member where login sccripts are possible.

So i hope that the problem to join domains soon is solved, it is strange that this problem did not occure in the first release of Zentyal 3.

Roming profiles in an environment with more than 50 client is not always evident to work, even with a Microsoft server.

Best regards,
Ian

stuartiannaylor

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 12:55:45 pm »
Have we got any details from the dev team. Or a trac reference.

I will still have a go and start providing some details of what the logs say.

I presume this is from the raring repo and we are on 4.0.0~rc5+dfsg1-1: amd64 i386 and that will be the change.

We where on 4.0.0~beta2+dfsg1-3: amd64 i386 from the quantal repo (which worked). Or was it RC2? It worked though.

From referencing samba.org this would seem to point at the zentyal package.

I would like to ask why we have a normal release that is still a Beta and not fit for production.

Can we not freeze a working version and at least give the community the choice to use a working product?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:04:36 pm by stuartiannaylor »

jase

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 03:48:53 pm »
Hello Ian

I'm joining the domain have a roaming profile and a home folder mapped, all under Zentyal 3.07 (File sharing v3.09) on a previous version the roaming profiles were not working due to permissions and the drive was not being mapped. I haven't tried the login scripts or group policies but they're next on the list of tasks
regards
Jason

update it's Zentyal 3.08 not .07
This is on a HP proliant microserver and a previously used windows 7 pc with no registry changes, joined the domain straight away.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 04:32:29 pm by jase »

ian

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 10:55:28 am »
Hello Jase,

Good that it works on your server.

I have a new installation from scratch , Zentyal 3.0.9, and it still does not works not possible to join a domain.

The installation is done with an cd burned from the zentyal iso file and installed on a dedicated server, not in vm.

stuartiannaylor
 I have made a ticket for this problem on 19 november ticket number #5313, and hop to have a solution soon.

Best regards,
Ian

stuartiannaylor

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 01:07:22 pm »
Didn't do anything yesterday, ended up a mammoth forbrydelsen viewing session (tak).

I will have a go today as I usually do vanilla ubuntu and apt-get install zentyal-core / zentyal-software.

Going to see if just the bare minimum of network and samba can be made to work and get some logs.

peter_b

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 05:22:14 pm »
Same problem here. Did a fresh install today and I can't join the domain with Windows7 or Windows XP clients.
Hopefully there is a solution very soon.
Zentyal-core 3.08
Filesharing 3.09

Peter

jase

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 05:35:29 pm »
Hello Ian
I've had this working in VM and am currently using on the HP microserver, the only thing I can guess that I'm doing differenlty is that I haven't setup the DNS service on the Zentyal box. How I have got this to work is allocate a fixed ip, dns server and gateway on installation (using a dynamic seemed to install but wouldn't allow me to attach even if I then set to a static address). Then I set the Zentyal servers ip address as the first dns entry on the win7 clients network adapter then I can join zentyal-domain.lan

Hi stuartiannaylor
how have you got on, managed to get away from papers and the killing ?