Author Topic: Block all traffic except specific application layer protocol  (Read 2029 times)

dwebber

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Block all traffic except specific application layer protocol
« on: November 23, 2012, 08:14:53 pm »
I see how traffic for specific protocols can be rate limited; however, how can all traffic be blocked except for a specific application layer protocol?

Thanks, Duane

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
Re: Block all traffic except specific application layer protocol
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 08:55:27 pm »
the quick,  answer:  block all ports exept those you need for your specific protocol...

the correct answer:  you cant (easily),  as you would need  "Deep Packet Inspection",  witch is a terrible thing to implement, both on 'system usage'  as well as on 'required technical skill'...   
edit: - one possible lib you could use for network inspection)  http://www.ntop.org/products/ndpi/

Update:  did i just forgot about  zentyal's  l7 filters,  ... they can be installed using the  zentyal compents installer and already nicely intergrate with the iptables guy.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 09:23:06 pm by ichat »
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

dwebber

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 06:56:54 am »
Two aspects to the Zentyal implementation:

1.  There doesn't appear to be an easy way to specify 'any', that is, each protocol would need to be individually added to a group.  It's workable but would it would be nice to have an 'any' similar to the firewall portion.  Thoughts?
    2.  The only way to restrict traffic appears to be to limit it's rate; however, this is obviously not blocking the protocol if the 'Limted Rate' is set to 1 Kbps.  Is there a way to block protocol traffic?

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 06:20:44 pm »
did you check the  l7 packages?
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

dwebber

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 03:33:19 am »
do you mean during install?  If yes, I installed the l7 protocols.  What am I looking for?  Can you point me to the Zentyal page in Zentyal that enables the functional mentioned to block l7 traffic?  I don't see it in Zentyal or the documentation.