Author Topic: Ebox Setup: Solved!  (Read 10700 times)

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Ebox Setup: Solved!
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:04:24 am »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could point me to a tutorial I can use to configure and setup ebox.  What I really wanted was for ebox to provide a VPN connection to my internal network however it seems that this is ether extreamly complicated to implement or isn't passable at all.  My hardware configuration is as follows.

Both my router and ebox have connections to my local intranet and the Internet.

Internet
|
Hub
|____________
|            |
|         Router
|            |
Ubuntu ebox -|
             |
Computer 1 --|
             |
Computer 2 --|
             |
Computer 3 --|

If I need to I will ether set up the ebox as the DHCP server/Gateway however I need to know how.  But i would prefer to have my ebox behind the router if at all possible.  Ether way I want to have a functional VPN so i may access my network when away form home.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:36:53 pm by rutri »

poundjd

• Zen Warrior
  • To your own morals be true!
    • View Profile
Re: Ebox Setup
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:19:00 am »
Rutri,
     I would recommend that you eliminate the hub and router from your configuration.  they are only adding complexity that is not needed.

A quick google search for HOWTO's showed this http://www.howtoforge.com/running-a-file-and-print-server-with-ebox-on-ubuntu8.04-server. There are also a couple here on this site, search for HOWTO.

If I can be of more help just PM me and I'll help where I can.... I'm still new to this so others may be able to help more.
-jeff
Jeffrey D. Pound, Sr.
CISSP
Still learning, hope to never stop!

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 01:06:01 am »
I do still need some functionality of it to handle wireless connections.  Also do you have a link that would help me with setting up the DHCP in the ebox?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:08:00 am by rutri »

poundjd

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 01:07:36 am »
Rutri,
     Can the router be configured as an AP?  if so just place it behind the eBox and you are golden...
-jeff
Jeffrey D. Pound, Sr.
CISSP

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:10:26 am »
I am not sure, I know i can disable its DHCP.  The router is a WRT350N Linksys router.  Also do you have any tutorials on how to setup a DHCP in ebox?

poundjd

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 01:21:46 am »
Rutri,
     My linksys routers have been reloaded with DD-WRT firmward from www.DD-WRT.com.  It can do that if the origanial Linksys Firmware can't.  The DD-WRT firmware is much better than the Linksys's.

http://www.howtoforge.com/running-a-file-and-print-server-with-ebox-on-ubuntu8.04-server is an HOWTO I found with a google search for "HOWTO eBox".  Also on this site there are a few, Search for HOWTO.  One I like is at http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=896.0.
-jeff
Jeffrey D. Pound, Sr.
CISSP

SamK

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:01:35 am »
Hi Rutri,

I, like poundjd (Jeff) am exploring eBox and may be able to offer some (limited) help.

Jeff's suggestions are good advice as they are widely implemented by eBox users.  My requirements were quite close to those described in your opening post. By design, eBox is quite capable of accommodating different set-ups and provided a suitable answer to my needs.  In essence this was to use the router/switch as a gateway to the LAN and leave functions such as the firewall etc there also.

The alternative approach is shown here:
http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=1233.0
It is quite a long thread and deals with the following main ideas:
  • Moving DHCP from a multi-function router/switch to an eBox  (relevant posts #1-#4)
  • Segmenting/reserving the address space in DHCP  (irrelevant posts #4-#38)
  • Accessing the WAN/web from the eBox  (relevant posts #39 onwards)
Also of interest might be the LAN topolgy diagram (post #48)

A broad outline is:
Module Status Section
Enable the eBox modules you require

Network Section-->Interfaces
Assign a static IP Address to the eBox NIC

Network Section-->Gateways
Create a gateway to the LAN IP Address of the router
Set as default

DHCP Section
Default Gateway=Configured Ones
Primary Nameserver=IP Address of router
Define a DHCP range to be allocated if you decide to use eBox as your DHCP server.

As far as VPN is concerned I cannot offer any suggestions as I have not explored eBox for this.  Other users on the forum may be able to assist with this, however they may be expecting eBox to be set up in the manner suggested by Jeff.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:51:21 pm by SamK »

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 03:34:44 pm »
Sam,

I will read over your post, my main concern is getting the VPN setup on the ebox, I knwo you can set it up behind a router however there is no documentation on how to set it up.  What Jeff suggests might not be to bad of an idea, especially since it looks like ebox may be able to handle load sharing across multiple internet connections.  And I if it gets to hard to set up this thing I may just go back to my windows server, it seems a lot easier to do this stuff in windows where I am more familiar.

Regards,

Richard

SamK

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 04:16:16 pm »
...my main concern is getting the VPN setup on the ebox, I knwo you can set it up behind a router however there is no documentation on how to set it up. 
A quick search of the forum turned up this HOWTO; it might help.  I have not tested it.
http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=1013.0

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:59:17 pm »
Yes i have read this one and had it setup according to this however i have little knowledge of how to do these items:
-A complete gatway setup, including that the dns is running, and the default on dhcp (ie. your -Default gatway is the ip of the ebox)
-An understanding of how to make sure everything is working, or a computer to try it with (when we are done)

I had the VPN setup and connected already however am unable to see my network, I looked at the gateway and could not see one on my client computer so I figure that I am missing something when it comes to setting up the gateway.  I tried to see if i could set up a gateway for the virtual router however I was successful at that.  As far as I can tell you need to have the DHCP and everything running but it seems that DHCP's and Gateways are common knowledge here and I am out of my league because I am unable to find any detailed tutorials on how to do this.

SamK

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 07:49:11 pm »
I am out of my league because I am unable to find any detailed tutorials on how to do this.
This is probably the most detailed guide on the forum to setting up an eBox and includes guidance on setting up a gateway and DHCP.  It follows the model Jeff has suggested.
http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=896.0

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 08:18:15 pm »
Thank you guys I will have a look at all of the information given to me when i get a chance later today.

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 01:44:02 am »
ok DHCP setup however it would seem that I need to setup a gateway however I did not see any reference to it in the http://forum.ebox-platform.com/index.php?topic=896.0 tutorial on how to setup a gateway if you IP address is given by a DHCP server.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:24:12 am by rutri »

Sam Graf

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 03:14:30 am »
An eBox with one interface assigned as external and one assigned as internal is able to function as a gateway. In that case, the DHCP service's default gateway would be the eBox itself.

rutri

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 03:21:17 am »
I have the following Network Configurations:

Eth0
Method: DHCP
External: Checked

Eth1
Method: Static
External: Not Checked