Author Topic: [solved] Getting trouble in configuring explicit proxy in zentyal 3.0  (Read 7852 times)

christian

Re: Getting trouble in configuring explicit proxy in zentyal 3.0
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2012, 09:37:37 am »
So, let me summarize:

- you have set up vhost: http://wpad.msserver01.lan
- you have wpad.dat file in /srv/www/wpad.msserver01.lan/
- this works if you set up this URL in your browser (both IE & Firefox)
- wpad.dat behave as expected and HTTP proxy filtering work (FW prevents direct HTTP internet access without using proxy)
- we want to implement auto-discovery using thre "well known alias" method.
 => so far this doesn't work  :( although DNS does contain A record for wpad.msserver01.lan  :o

The only reason I can see is that client FQDN is not member of msserver01.lan (network) domain.
Can you please check this ?
(the well known alias method relies on client's FQDN and stripes the leftest section to perform DNS requests until valid A record is found)

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2012, 09:50:45 am »
      Can I do one thing,the "A recored" 'wpad' change to 'msserver01' and will have a alias as "wpad","wpad.msserver01.lan". When I try from system02 as "system01.msserver010.lan" then can able to access,its not means client FQDN is a member of msserver01.lan or is there any other way to know this ?

Regards
Zent User

christian

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2012, 10:00:32 am »
1 - "well known alias" is supposed to rely on "A" record, not "CNAME". Please do not change this for the time being.
2 - I don't understand this sentence:
When I try from system02 as "system01.msserver010.lan" then can able to access,its not means client FQDN is a member of msserver01.lan or is there any other way to know this ?
- what are system02 and system01 ?
- what you need to check is whether clients FQDN is something.msserver01.lan or not and inf search domain is msserver01.lan (this is supposed to be provided by DHCP server)

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2012, 10:01:25 am »
Few things I might be missing,

1) my client system name is 'user102-desktop',but when I assigned IP using Fixed DHCP(MAC) there I've given as Hostname(system01-desktop), IP(192.168.6.1). When I given in client terminal as 'hostname' then it as shown "user102-descktop' and "dnsdomainname" as shown "no output" here it has to show "msserver01.lan",I think here mistake is there.

Thanks
Regards
Zent User

christian

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2012, 10:12:02 am »
bingo!

so your DHCP configuration is wrong  :(
As stated at the very beginning of this long thread (or perhaps in the one you deleted), you are trying to implement to much complex set up in regard to your technical skill (for the time being. No doubt you will improve  ;))

You should rather go for basic DHCP configuration, ensure everything fine then move to the next step, adding - under control - more features.

Anyway, we are not going to investigate this right now.

To make it short:
- what is your client OS (I previously made assumption that it is Windows but I might be wrong)?
- in order to check wpad auto-discovery, could you please "rename" your client as whatveryouwant.msserver01.lan and test auto-discovery?

Then we (or perhaps someone else  ;D) will deal with DHCP conf.

BTW what's this habit to not use domain name when describing devices name?  ::)  ;)

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2012, 10:29:17 am »
In Client Machine: I've changed my client hostname to "system01.msserver01.lan",rebooted the system,checked my giving "hostname -f" it shown "system01.msserver01.lan".

In Server system : Added SRV and TXT records,

Tried for "Auto discovery" but failed in FireFox( browser is already set to Auto Discovery in settings). My client OS is Ubuntu 12.04.

One thing I can say confidently that what ever in zentyal 3.0 dchp configuration is explained I've setup liked that only.

Thanks
Regards
Zent User

christian

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2012, 10:52:32 am »
In Server system : Added SRV and TXT records,

:o :o why ?  ::)

For the time being, we try to check "well known alias" method ONLY.

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2012, 11:04:23 am »
Oh I forgot,I've removed SRV and TXT records and added few alias as "wpad.msserver01.lan","msserver01.lan" and rebooted the both systems,tired but failed.
Regards
Zent User

christian

« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2012, 11:12:34 am »
Oh I forgot,I've removed SRV and TXT records and added few alias as "wpad.msserver01.lan","msserver01.lan" and rebooted the both systems,tired but failed.

OK, I give up  :( each and every time I ask you to do something, you do it plus something else in another direction without any explanation which at the end makes everything fuzzy.

Why did you add aliases? I've asked you to remove it some posts ago?

You can't do it by yourself. I try to help you as best as possible without having good visibility on your system but if you don't understand how it work, please do not take any initiative on your own unless you explain why.

::) ::)

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2012, 11:19:54 am »
Sorry Christian,

For the time being, we try to check "well known alias" method ONLY.

Considering this I've added aliases,I'll remove them.Please guide me.
Regards
Zent User

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2012, 11:48:19 am »
@ Christian,

I'm now in middle please guide me,it won't repeated again.

After removing the aliases also I've checked its not working.Currently only "A record" (wpad) is there,other then that thing is there in DNS entries and some default entries of kerbose.

Please don't mind, guide me.
Regards
Zent User

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2012, 12:57:47 pm »
@ Christian,

One great news,I found some troubleshooting of "wpad" documents in internet,its worked for me. When I copied "wpad.dat" file into "/var/www" then it works. Why Vhost is not handling the "wpad.dat" file,when browser is configured to "auto detect proxy" ?

Anyhow its worked for me,I've try for other corrections and other aspects.

Thanks a lot in this long journey for your support.
Regards
Zent User

christian

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2012, 01:24:31 pm »
it may works because http://wpad.msserver01.lan is pointing to your default apache server instead of vhost.
Well, if you were using win98 and/or old IE version, some additional trick need to be implemented (with IP address as vhost alias) but I'm not aware of any such trick to be used with firefox and Ubuntu client.

Zent User

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2012, 01:34:41 pm »
Even if I remove aliases,SRV,TXT records also its working fine,can I proceed with this or is there any trouble if I proceed ? Currently in my network Ubuntu 10.04,12.04 are there along with Windows XP (IE 6 by default).

Thanks for your reply
Regards
Zent User

christian

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2012, 04:04:53 pm »
Good news!
Then if it works for you, please stamp this (long) thread as [SOLVED] modifying first post title.