Author Topic: Installation of a HP LaserJet 1020 printer  (Read 2550 times)

zoesn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Installation of a HP LaserJet 1020 printer
« on: May 10, 2009, 02:31:10 pm »
Hi,

Is there anyone who have been succesfull in adding a HP LaserJet 1020 printer through the ebox interface. I reach the step when i am supposed to select a driver from a dropdown. The dropdown is empty and therefore it will not allow me to proceede.

Do i need to install the HPLIP package on the ebox server before trying to add the printer?

Greatfull for advises

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Installation of a HP LaserJet 1020 printer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 02:39:56 pm »
Which version of eBox are you using? I think there might be a bug in the alphas, but am not sure about that.

zoesn

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 02:44:47 pm »
I am using the 1.0 version, installed it from the cd image downloaded from the ebox website.

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 02:46:03 pm »
Ok. I haven't worked much with printers, but that should be enough information for someone else to help you out now. Hopefully they're quick :P.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 06:07:01 pm »
Have you tried using Cups directly?

We will be giving some love to the printers module by the end of 1.2.

normanp

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 03:30:10 pm »
Have you tried using Cups directly?

We will be giving some love to the printers module by the end of 1.2.
How can I use Cups directly?
Previously on Ubuntu I have been able to use lpinfo, lpadmin, lpstat to deal with problems but they are not available on this installation - are these installable off the CD (I do not have Internet access here).
Thanks

I have just done the following:
Modified /etc/apt/sources.list so apt only looks at the CDRom.
sudo apt-get install cupsys-client
Now I can do eg lpstat -v and see the printer listed & used lpoptions -d HP1010 to set this as default printer.
I then did lp /tmp/test.txt a few times and then lpstat -t shows the print jobs waiting but the message 'Printer not connected will retry in 30 sec'.

Now I'm not clear why there is no printing - the printer is ok when I put the USB into a neighbouring XP machine & print from there directly.

Is it possible that despite lpinfo -v reporting the printer connected to the usb (and not when I unplug it) there could still be a usb communication problem? USB flash drives work fine in the same machine if I mount them.

(I also have a slight worry that installing cupsys-client has overwritten config files that ebox might need)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 04:32:58 pm by normanp »

normanp

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
[Solved] Installation of a HP LaserJet 1020 printer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 04:22:04 pm »
I re-installed Ubuntu+EBox
Used w3m on the server to see the CUPS interface.
Asked CUPS to find printers, added the printer, printed a test page.
In Modify for this printer I noted the settings.

I now added the printer using the eBox UI on the workstation, then on the server looked at what eBox had added using w3m CUPS interface again.

I noticed that eBox had used the wrong Device and changed it the the correct one (as noted above).

I can now print to the device from the XP machine.
Is this an eBox bug?

I have a confusion about drivers: the XP machine has (and demands) the HP 1010 drivers from disk - so why does CUPS need another set of drivers for this printer?

I also noticed that users in the eBox interface are offered CUPS-installed printers, though these are not listed in the eBox printers module setup area.

Lastly it would be great if eBox could search for printers as CUPS can.