Author Topic: New install stuck on "Waiting for network configuration..."  (Read 4705 times)

christian

Re: New install stuck on "Waiting for network configuration..."
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 02:57:16 pm »
1 - Apache can be quite resource consuming
2 - X server can be removed
3 - there is no magic trick: if you want, still using Zentyal, to minimize footprint, you will have to tuned in various direction because you will not find one unique that will significant difference.
4 - to Robb: look at attached picture: this shows cumulative CPU time on my test server (which again does nothing  ;))

nikkilocke

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »
Thanks. If I reinstall Zentyal, I will try that.

As for LXDE consuming huge amounts of memory, it depends on your definition of huge :-) With only 512MB of memory, I would imagine LXDE uses quite a bit of it.

I would prefer to use Zentyal because it does everything I need, and the user interface is very good (especially compared to some of the other things I have tried).

there is no magic trick: if you want, still using Zentyal, to minimize footprint, you will have to tuned in various direction because you will not find one unique that will significant difference.

I am having trouble parsing that sentence!

Sam Graf

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 03:34:57 pm »
As for LXDE consuming huge amounts of memory, it depends on your definition of huge :-)

Very true. My test machine is an old dual processor PIII with 1 GB of memory and It is clearly underpowered for Zentyal 3, so "huge" is easier to achieve :) . Keep in mind that you can log completely out of the local Zentyal desktop when not in use, which significantly reduces (to an acceptable level even on my test machine, from my point of view) resource consumption from that direction.

Also keep in mind that even on an underpowered machine, Zentyal performs better in production than during configuration. It takes me forever to do an update on my 3.0 test machine--several minutes from start to finish--yet it is pretty responsive when in actual use. The single most important goal, as christian noted, is to avoid swapping while the machine is in production. Given your deployment goals and 1 GB of RAM, you might find it doable.

kwalker

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 01:55:24 am »
I had this problem on my previous attempt to set up a server using Zentyal a few days ago.  Sometimes it would wait for network configuration and sometimes it would actually shut down the computer at that point.  I browsed around in the bios settings and found one that gave you a choice between starting up with RAID enabled (which was the default) or starting up with a routine that checked to see if there was Raid.  Since my box does not have raid I changed that setting.  The install went smoothly, and the waiting for network message doesn't come up.  I have no idea whether that fix is actually related to the problem, but it seems to be solved for me.  Now if only I could get my windows boxes to talk to the file shares . . . . . but that is another problem.

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 09:41:24 am »
Well just another n00b stupidity.....
I had that message "Waiting for network configuration" trying to install my new Zentyal 3.0 while the old 2.2.7 was running...
You can't use the same hostname, it will let you wait forever.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

christian

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 11:41:33 am »
is it because Zentyal 2.2 runs DHCP and 3.0 installation check for any DHCP server in order to get an IP and there is collision with existing host name while registering in Zentyal DNS ?

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 05:27:15 am »
is it because Zentyal 2.2 runs DHCP and 3.0 installation check for any DHCP server in order to get an IP and there is collision with existing host name while registering in Zentyal DNS ?

Yes Christian, that could be the case. I should have tested with a static IP address for the external interface at that moment to avoid DHCP issues.
Your observation makes perfect sense.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...