Author Topic: FOG running on same server as Zentyal  (Read 5330 times)

jjmontes

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: FOG running on same server as Zentyal
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 02:40:40 pm »
For example, on the main login screen it just has text "Zentyal Logo" but bo logo like it used too.  Same in the main dashboard, no Zentyal logo and other pictures are missing.

Check what the URLs of those missing images are, that might give a clue.

Perhaps Fog has altered Apache configuration, but Zentyal apache configuration is not stored in /etc/apache... perhaps try changing Zentyal admin interface to some other port (not 443), to see if that may be related.

B0UJI

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 09:07:03 am »
Could be.  Changing the port didn't help unfortunately.

I checked the page source for the login screen and checked the image url and the error stating it was not found on this server.  It's located at:
  • /data/images/title-login.png

Whereabouts locally would that be? Under the Zentyal system directory (also.. which might be where?)

Thank you very much for your insights though, it is helping immensely.

biologyben

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 12:58:52 am »
Just wanted to chime in here and say that FOG is amazing.  I'd love to have fog an Zentyal on the same box and think it would be a great addition for those businesses that have more than a few PC's to maintain.  We have 50 and if there is a problem, we simply reimage it immediately with a known good image.  If that doesn't fix the issue, then we know it's either hardware or a network based problem.

It is not a trivial set up, however as no files/settings can be saved locally as they will be wiped out on every reimage. 

We have Zentyal on a server, fog on another, and a windows server (running critical software not available to run on other systems) all playing nicely together.  It would save some power if we could merge two of those. 

christian

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 07:29:57 am »
It would save some power if we could merge two of those.

Is your goal greener IT "only"  ??? 
I'm not meaning that this doesn't matter but try to understand what the rational is.

Although I'm not always prone to promote VM, this could be one option.
Another one is to deploy servers that are right sized given your needs. That's what I'm doing here, both Zentyal (running as internet gateway) and OpenMediaVault (for file sharing) are running on HP 40L micro servers.

OK, this is for SoHo deployment. For bigger sites, HP 56L exists now.
Would you need even bigger, still not trying to cluster everything on one single hardware, I would suggest to look at blade concept.
That's another topic that should be discussed elsewhere (there is no coffee corner in this forum to discuss non-Zentyal stuff  :-\) let me introduce my view with few words:

- CPU are nowadays quite well managed and can really reduce power fingerprint when not used.
- same for disks if rightly configured to slowdown.
- power supply are not yet at this stage, even if it improves.

by running multiple (blade) servers sharing same redundant power supply, you will benefit from power supply redundancy and shared, therefore better optimized power consumption.
I'll try to find some studies showing impact of power supply in term of power consumption fingerprint.

Drawback is that such design exists for large deployment (look at what IBM or HP can provide here) while this is trickier for small or even medium organizations.
You may find however blade like boxes embedding micro or pico-ATX motherboards.

End of my almost off-topic point  ;) 

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 08:22:00 am »
I chose to run Fog in a VM.  It plays well in the environment.  After all 95% of the time it will be sitting idle unless you are using it as a part of an orchestration solution.