Author Topic: Zentyal 3.0 - Captive Portal  (Read 2409 times)

fohlhaeuser

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal 3.0 - Captive Portal
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:16:55 am »
Dear support team,

i tested a liitle bit the captive portal service.

In my test environment with a Mac as a client and Firefox as the browser it worked fine.

I installed Zentyal in a taller environment with mixed clients like Windows an Internet Explorer, the authentication page appears an i can login with username and password, but there is noch pop-up Window and when i  want to surf to other internet sites the captice portal login screen appears again, like a loop.

Other clients such as Macs with Safari have the same behavior.

I see at the bottom of the browsers that a javascript will be excecute, so need i Java for correct working?

Thank you for yours suggestions.

Frank from Germany

shrewm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.0 - Captive Portal
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 01:12:37 pm »
Same problem here with Internet Explorer 9.0.8112. Is there a workaround for this? Searched the forum but couldn´t find anything related.

Sam Graf

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 02:19:23 pm »
Hi, and welcome to both of you!

I've experienced this as an intermittent problem and am not sure it's browser related, though I'm not sure it isn't, either :) . I've tested it with both IE and iOS Safari, and it happens to both. In any case, it seems that actually logging out of the captive portal connection (rather than simply closing the browser) is important, but I have yet to take time to look at cookies.

To return things to normal I've cleared the client's browser cache and cookies. It might work to log into the captive portal on another machine and log out. Not sure what's going on so will be interested to compare experiences and see if we can determine the cause of the behavior.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 02:21:29 pm by Sam Graf »

shrewm

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 03:06:04 pm »
Hi there,

is there any news on this? Can we help in a specific way?

Thanks

shrewm

Sam Graf

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 04:46:06 pm »
There is no change to the captive portal's behavior to my knowledge. I can only add that after broadening my test to more people with more devices, no one reported this problem. I suspect, but don't know, that most of the people I asked to help me test the captive portal logged in just once. If true, that reinforces (though doesn't prove) my suspicion that logging out is important to subsequent logins.