Author Topic: [SOLVED] Thunderbird Email client configuration clarificaiton  (Read 20226 times)

hyerk

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Thunderbird Email client configuration clarificaiton
« on: October 13, 2012, 05:34:39 pm »
Good Morning all,

I've setup the mail module and everything was working with roundcube till it stopped working after a reboot (I've posted for that in a different post) but in the meantime I've been trying to get Thunderbird to work internally with my email server but it's not working.  I'm hoping someone might be able to clarify a few things for me.

When setting up a mail account in Thunderbird, it asks for a few things and I want to make sure I'm providing the proper information.  I'll try to go through all the steps...

First:  You are asked for the following...

Your Name : Firstname Lastname (not associated with authentication)
Email Address:  firstnamelastname@example.com
Password:  This is the password used to access the account via webmail which is also the user's LDAP credentials, Correct?

Second:  The next page it tires to find the server info for you... but it's not working..  I select IMAP and then go into the manual config.

Incoming: IMAP , hostnameofmailserver.example.com , Port (depends on authentication method) , STARTTLS , Kerberos/GSSAPI
Outgoing: SMTP , hostnameofmailserver.example.com , Port (depends on authentication method) , STARTTLS , Normal Password
Username : So, is this just the email address again? (firstnamelastname@example.com) or is this the username I setup under users in the Zentyal interface?

Ultimately, I'm getting met with authentication errors when I try to test the connection.  Any aid on selecting which SSL and Authentication method to use would be great.  I don't think I should be using Kerberos unless i'm logged into a machine that is joined to the zentyal domain right?

I hope this is not too confusing.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:09:45 am by hyerk »

jan.rok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Thunderbird Email client configuration clarificaiton
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 03:46:26 pm »
Hallo,
I have new installation Zentyal. Rouncube webmail work correct, but Thunderbird and Outlook 2007 I can not set successfully.
Thunderbird (in manual config) detect IMAP (port 143), STARTTLS, Kerberos/GSSAPI and SMTP (port 587), STARTTLS, password, secure.

But this settings not working.

I have newbie in Zentyal, please help. Thank very much. J. Rok

christian

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 03:54:10 pm »
surprising  :o  I did install 3.0 some days ago and had to install both Thunderbird and webmail clients and everything went smoothly.
Are you sure you are not facing some FW related issue?

I mean that webmail is accessing mail services locally (localhost) while your client accesses from outside. However, if mail server is detected...  ???

jan.rok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 04:15:36 pm »
I tested open ports on Zentyal: 143, 993, 25, 587 is open.

Creating Thinderbird new account (on Win7):
name: test
e-mail: test@my-domain.org
password: testxxx
Next -> manual settings
IMAP: name:my_server, port:auto, SSL: autodetect, authentication: autodetect
SMTP: name:my_server, port:auto, SSL: autodetect, authentication: autodetect
Test again:
IMAP: name:my_server, port:143, SSL: STARTTLS, authentication: Kerberos/GSSAPI
SMTP: name:my_server, port:587, SSL: STARTTLS, authentication: password, secure
Result: Please check that you are logget in to Kerberos/GSSAPI realm

Firewall: Packetfilter -> From internal network to Zentyal:
Mail submission, SMTP, Incoming Mail - accept

:(

jan.rok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Re: Thunderbird Email client configuration clarificaiton
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 07:20:46 pm »
Problem solved:

name: must be full email address - name@my_domain.org
SSL: STARTTLS
auth: password, secure

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:27:35 pm by jan.rok »

christian

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:49:53 pm »
Glad you fixed it. I though this was obvious and didn't pay enough attention to this "detail"
Indeed, you're correct. This is true also when using webmail BTW.

Please stamp your first post as [SOLVED]

hyerk

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 05:09:00 am »
Wow, I'm not sure what was causing me so much trouble, but now things are working OK.  I was having problems with roundcube connecting to it's database but didn't think that was causing the problem.   Maybe I was just 'fat fingering' my password over and over again.  I can verify that what jan.rok said is correct.  simply select STARTTLS and for the authentication choose normal password.

Thanks for you time everyone even though it was such a small problem possibly caused by myself.   :-[

swidmer

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] Re: Thunderbird Email client configuration clarificaiton
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 01:41:40 am »
Problem solved:

name: must be full email address - name@my_domain.org
SSL: STARTTLS
auth: password, secure

Thanks.

This solution will still help users who have installed Zentyal 3.5 and are having issues retrieving and sending mail from their  email clients and mobile devices like android and iphone.

Note for those who have "upgraded" from Zentyal 3.3 or older and using Zarafa and are now forced into Webmail (RoundCube) and/or OpenChange this should help get things rolling again as well.

The Zentyal 3.5 documentation does not highlight this issue