Author Topic: MS Word 2007 Lags with Zentyal Print Server  (Read 1791 times)

remus

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
MS Word 2007 Lags with Zentyal Print Server
« on: October 12, 2012, 03:03:54 am »
Hi all,

Love Zentyal so far, have been testing it as a file server, and have just deployed it onto an old computer in a class room as a print server.

Server hardware specs : Compaq Desktop EN
Intel 815E chipset
66, 100 or 133-MHz Front Side Bus
Intel Pentium III processors (133 MHz)
Intel Celeron™ processors (66 or 100 MHz)

More details here : http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10653_div/10653_div.HTML

I know its very old and obsolete hardware, I'm using what I can get in a non profit community centre that depends on donations. By the way, the interface is actually very responsive on this old hardware, and I've upgraded the RAM to 512MB.

Printer Details : Brother HL-1430
Connected to server via USB, the printer also supports parallel connection.

Some details about the Zentyal Server setup.
- Static IP Address
- During Zentyal installation, I selected print server as the module I wanted, and a few other supporting modules were installed (Network, Firewall, Events, Logs, Monitoring, Users and Groups, File Sharing, Printer Sharing).
- I apply all updates manually every few days. The server has all updates.

So I've got the printer setup and working on Zentyal fine. I then installed it via ipp onto my windows xp pro workstation and did a few basic print test's and it worked fine.

I then deployed the server, and the printer into our class room, and proceeded to install the printer via ipp onto 13 windows xp pro computers in the class room also.

I've noticed that when ms word 2007 is loaded, that the program suffers from lag, and the timer appears every 5 to 15 seconds.

When I uninstall the printer from the windows xp pro clients, and reboot, the problem goes away.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.

FarquahrWindsor

Re: MS Word 2007 Lags with Zentyal Print Server
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:54:50 am »
Its a GDI printer so maybe the printer driver is just pushing your setup to hard. As the driver is doing all the imaging and printer control.

Maybe.

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:32:11 pm »
(unless you want only certain users to print..)     
i would even go further  and tell you to remove the print sharing  + cups... and instead install  p90nd witch is unimaginable smaller in footprint,  for your server,  at the cost of having to install your print drivers on every connecting machine.
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

remus

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 01:42:38 am »
I had to install the print driver on each of the Windows Clients with the original setup.

Since uninstalling the printer, performance has returned to normal with ms word 2007.

I'm going to try some other drivers, and perhaps a faster computer for the server.