Author Topic: Configure Jabber Client  (Read 3057 times)

strange_cathect

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Configure Jabber Client
« on: February 06, 2008, 05:07:13 pm »
I have the jabber server running on my EBOX but I am having difficulty knowing how to set up my client.  I have Pidgin.

Can anyone give me pointers on this?  Nothing seems to be working.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: Configure Jabber Client
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 09:03:37 am »
Firstly, in eBox at least a user, for instance "john", with the jabber account enabled must be created. In Jabber section, you must set a domain, for example, "jabber.example.com". The SSL support is important, require SSL. Finally, enable the jabber service. Now let's go to the client side.

In Pidgin, I use 2.2.0, you must configure a XMPP account. In basic settings, the user name must be "john", the domain "jabber.example.com" and the password, the user's password. In advanced settings,  you must check "Require SSL/TLS" and as connection port "5222" with the IP address, the address from any of your interfaces. These two last settings may be avoided if you set the DNS server accordingly or edit manually for "/etc/hosts" by appending the line as follows:

Code: [Select]
# Provided that the internal interface IP address is 192.168.1.1
192.168.1.1           jabber.example.com
My secret is my silence...

strange_cathect

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 02:48:08 am »
Thanks for your response.  I'm still having difficulty.

I'm just using this on my local network.  I just want a private chat on my home network.  Can the domain be anything?  Should I put the ip address of the ebox machine here?  Localhost? 

I currently have users set up with jabber enabled on them.  I have the connect port set to 5222 on Pidgin and my connect server is at 192.168.1.100 (static address for the ebox machine).  But I can't seem to get it to work.

ideas?

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 09:56:37 am »
I'm just using this on my local network.  I just want a private chat on my home network.  Can the domain be anything?  Should I put the ip address of the ebox machine here?  Localhost? 
It can be anything, as I say, for instance "jabber.myhome.com". If you are having problems with SSL, you may disabled this option on eBox and check "Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams".

I hope this helps.
My secret is my silence...