Author Topic: Inconsistent detection of multiple NICs  (Read 1589 times)

EddieA

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Inconsistent detection of multiple NICs
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:58:08 pm »
I've been trying to install both the RCs and release versions of 3.0 in a VM on ESXi.  The VM has 2 NICs defined, of different types.  One is defined as "Flexible", the other an "E1000".  9 times out of 10, the installer will set the Flexible one to be eth0 and the E1000 as eth1.  But on the 10th install, it will flip them around.  On the installer, this is easy to spot, because it displays the NIC type.

However, more troublesome is that the first boot after install will also occasionally switch the adapters around, so what the installer showed as eth0 is now eth1, and vice-versa.  This isn't immediately noticeable, as the NIC type is not displayed on the screen asking for the eth0/1 and Internal/External configurations, and will lead to an incorrect configuration.

So far, I haven't noticed this happening after the install, but that could be because I haven't got much further along than this, due to other issues.

Cheers.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Inconsistent detection of multiple NICs
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 10:56:07 am »
Hello EddieA,

I think this is a issue of your virtualization system. I use virtualbox and I only remember one switch of interfaces and it was only in the first boot and with an older virtual box version.

Anyway you could use the udev rules to reassign interfaces numbers, see for example -> http://www.debianadmin.com/rename-network-interface-using-udev-in-linux.html

EddieA

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 03:21:23 am »
It looks like the rules for networks:  75-persistent-net-generator.rules  is not being run.

The file: /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules  only contains the original comments.  No interface designations.

Cheers.

EddieA

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 10:39:44 pm »
Also, deleting the network rules files doesn't cause it to be recreated, which I thought was the default action.

Cheers.