Author Topic: Request Help Moving DHCP from Router to eBox  (Read 14867 times)

Sam Graf

Re: Request Help Moving DHCP from Router to eBox
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2009, 07:07:55 pm »
  • A separate box: ... (in that case you just want eBox to be a simple box for DHCP server)...
In this case, are the eBox DHCP clients behind the eBox firewall?

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2009, 07:28:28 pm »
  • A separate box: ... (in that case you just want eBox to be a simple box for DHCP server)...
In this case, are the eBox DHCP clients behind the eBox firewall?
No, they aren't. They are under the gateway you set previously as default gateway.
My secret is my silence...

SamK

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2009, 07:30:11 pm »
Because you haven't configured your default gateway for eBox. You must set one at Network -> Gateways, ticking Default setting. If it is the same one that your DHCP clients then you may choose Configured one option in DHCP server.
Just checking here that I understand.
The LAN Workstations are able to browse the web because they are DHCP clients and are aware of the gateway address which is specified in eBox-->DHCP-->Default Gateway='Custom'.  The ebox itself is not a DHCP client as it has a static address and therefore is unaware of whatever gateway is specified in DHCP. For this reason the eBox requires a gateway to be specified in Network-->Gateways.
Is this correct?

I think the other around is more user friendly since your host always has a default gateway to route its packets and there is not always a configured DHCP server in eBox. For me, it is confusing to do so.
I can accept that.  Would it be more intuitive if the eBox-->DHCP-->Default Gateway='Custom' option was 'greyed-out' (unavailable) until a gateway has been defined in Network-->Gateways? The 'Custom' gateway cannot be used until it has been setup.  It might be less ambiguous.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:06:05 pm by SamK »

Sam Graf

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2009, 07:33:26 pm »
"No, they aren't."

As I thought. But I've managed to get my self pretty thoroughly confused about what it is we're trying to accomplish, so I better leave it at that.

I did learn that eBox can provide simple DHCP services. If/when someone who gets this has the time, I'd like to understand better the benefits of a simple DHCP server in light of APIPA and the address range reserved for that purpose. Thanks. :)

SamK

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2009, 07:41:00 pm »
@Sam Graf,
Sam, it was good to meet you, thanks for your input to my requests.  Perhaps I can confuse you some more as I continue to explore eBox.  Overall I am quite satisfied that I have the information I was looking for on this matter.

Sam Graf

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2009, 08:23:50 pm »
Well, I'm glad you got to where you wanted to get. As for me getting confused along the way, I take full responsibility. :)

eBox is proving to be a lot of fun. I'm along for the ride, whatever happens.

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2009, 09:19:53 pm »
@SamK
Make sure, once you configured the Gateway as 192.168.2.1, you go into your DHCP server and instead of choosing "Custom", choose "Configured Ones" and select the one you just setup in there earlier today.

That is JUST IN CASE you change your gateway's IP. If you do change it, you have to change it in eBox too right? Well now you don't have to change it in your DHCP server, you just change it in the Gateway area only. It is one less place to change it. That is what sixstone meant.

SamK

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2009, 09:23:46 am »
Make sure, once you configured the Gateway as 192.168.2.1, you go into your DHCP server and instead of choosing "Custom", choose "Configured Ones" and select the one you just setup in there earlier today.
Already done,  but thanks for the reminder.

Other than the two questions I posed in Reply #62 to sixstone i think we are done with this thread.  I will monitor it for a short time to see if he wants to respond.  

@Saturn2888
I hope we can meet in a future thread.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:46:32 am by SamK »

poundjd

• Zen Warrior
  • To your own morals be true!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2009, 03:33:22 am »
Guys,
   a pointer that may help answer all the questions being asked here.

http://www.daemon-systems.org/man/dhcpd.conf.5.html

There are ways of doing most of the stuff I have seen discussed here. and an answer to my questions about DHCP and other services.  on the same site are some other useful DHCP and DNS documents.

Also for those looking for good references,
http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/ and http://docstore.mik.ua
I don't know that they are legal, but it is truly impressive what is available there.
-jeff
Jeffrey D. Pound, Sr.
CISSP
Still learning, hope to never stop!

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2009, 08:38:15 am »
I can say for one, if you live in the US, probably not legal here.

SamK

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2009, 10:07:02 am »
http://www.daemon-systems.org/man/dhcpd.conf.5.html

There are ways of doing most of the stuff I have seen discussed here. and an answer to my questions about DHCP and other services.  on the same site are some other useful DHCP and DNS documents.

Just to add to this for users new to Linux...
When installing a package (application) In Ubuntu it is usual for the installation process to place a copy of the manual on the local machine.  This can be accessed in a terminal window.  Try the following:
Code: [Select]
man dhcpd.conf
It might prove helpful if troubleshooting problems when an internet connection is unavailable.

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2010, 02:07:33 pm »
Hey SamK, there are some quotes of me from you in this thread with my name in them, would you mind cleaning those up so it's just my username please? Since PMs are disabled I have to publicize it I guess.

SamK

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2010, 10:59:27 am »
Hey SamK, there are some quotes of me from you in this thread with my name in them, would you mind cleaning those up so it's just my username please?

Happy to oblige.  It's a long thread containing quite a few instances of your name, I hope I got them all.

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2010, 09:16:41 pm »
Thanks buddy! I wish the PM system was back up, haha.