Author Topic: LTSP FAT Client applications  (Read 7218 times)

FarquahrWindsor

Re: LTSP FAT Client applications
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 03:34:03 pm »
I am jumping around a tad but just to go back to adding zentyal and the initial minimal zentyal setup.

FarquahrWindsor

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 03:36:37 pm »
Should end up looking like this.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:38:40 pm by FarquahrWindsor »

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 07:29:26 pm »
thanks for the feedback on the LTSP module guys, but I would like to remember that Zentyal 3 has been already released as stable version and won't get new features only bugfixes. Next time you want to push some feature requests, do it before the freeze, when we released the LTSP and we asked for feedback, we didn't get that much :P

FarquahrWindsor

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 07:52:18 pm »
Apols as I am a ltsp newbie if it wasn't for the Zentyal release I wouldn't of got as far.

Many Thanks.

I have a few things that would be good to get some community collaboration as I struggle in the network arena.

FarquahrWindsor

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 11:58:47 am »
There is always a catch-22 with the firewall and that is if you make a mistake with your internal lan you can end up with no access.

So when your testing and evaluating it makes sense to punch a couple of holes in the external dynamic for those just in case moments.

In the services I am going to make a https service for port 443.
After making that service I am going go to the firewall >> packet filter and allow ssh and 443 so I have a totally open admin scenario whilst I set things up.

These will be removed when all methods are implemented and the server is ready to go live.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 12:59:58 pm by FarquahrWindsor »

FarquahrWindsor

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 12:53:38 pm »
Then I am going to jump ahead a little and install a DHCP server on the static IP declaration and give it a range of x.x.x.16 to x.x.x.254
Install LTSP and before I create any users ensure that LDAP users have pam accounts.

FarquahrWindsor

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 01:34:15 pm »
So in the dhcp In the advanced options I set the NEXT server to Zentyal LTSP and create a user.

Build an image in this case 32bit thin.

I am using a VM for my client and with virtualbox only the AMD PC-Net Fast III suports PXE.
So I have disabled all other boot methods and pushed up network to the top of the boot order and enabled.

This works and the client boots but at logon I just get a message "No response from server, restarting"

Dunno why but building a client or updating an image seems to require a server reboot.

I know from experience that this isn't going to work as I have a headless server trying to run an x11 session.

Firstly I don't what the connection is between LTSP and LSB but my first awareness of LSB was by running ltsp-info

webadmin@zentyal:~$ ltsp-info
server information:
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
Release:        12.04
Codename:       precise

server packages:
ii ldm-server 2:2.2.9-1ubuntu0.1
ii ltsp-server 5.3.7-0ubuntu2.2
un ltsp-utils <none>
ii ltspfs 1.1-2

packages in chroot: /opt/ltsp/i386
ii ldm 2:2.2.9-1ubuntu0.1
un ldm-themes <none>
ii ldm-ubuntu-theme 2:2.0.47
un ldm-ubuntu-themes <none>
ii ltsp-client 5.3.7-0ubuntu2.2
ii ltsp-client-core 5.3.7-0ubuntu2.2
ii ltspfsd 1.1-2
ii ltspfsd-core 1.1-2

found: /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf

found image: /opt/ltsp/images/i386.img

No LSB modules are available. Makes me think that maybe they should be.

So scratching my head I am going to do two things
apt-get install lsb and LDM_DEBUG_TERMINAL = True in the general options should hopefully give me a log of whats going on.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 01:41:11 pm by FarquahrWindsor »

FarquahrWindsor

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 02:07:23 pm »
Sep 30 12:44:46 zentyal nbd_server[2364]: Authorized client
Sep 30 12:44:46 zentyal nbd_server[4010]: Starting to serve
Sep 30 12:44:46 zentyal nbd_server[4010]: Size of exported file/device is 267427840
Sep 30 12:44:46 zentyal nbd_server[4010]: Disconnect request received.
Sep 30 12:44:46 zentyal nbd_server[2364]: Child exited with 0

Also the options directive gives me a new log /var/log/zentyal/access-desktop-services.log
But unfortunately empty

Because LSB is now installed I get a message telling me that there is no .xsession files or windowmanger or session to run a session.
Syslog gives some info but not much Child exited with 0 ?

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/LTSPLoginAndSessionHandling

This also lends weight to a hunch that something is wrong with the Zentyal implementation as when you do install a DE that the session is running on the server rather than the chroot that has been created. Or that is the manner its supposed to?

This is also something that I don't like the idea of as firstly it would seem that I am having to butcher my clean headless server further to that I am beginning to install apps such as libre office and gimp so that my thin clients have those applications.

I keep thinking this can't be right surely but if so then I have another option to the 340mb install of LSB before we get to lubuntu-desktop and applications on my PDC.

Its not image size that I am worried about though in a server especially a pdc shouldn't we have some isolation?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:55:33 pm by FarquahrWindsor »

FarquahrWindsor

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 09:38:18 pm »
I have been working on the premise that I am not happy with the additions LTSP brings to my server.

I have the horsepower (quad processor) and ram available so I am thinking yeah an LXC container would provide better performance than a hypervisor whilst providing the isolation I wish for.

I am stuck on the networking side and you help would be greatly appreciated.

I am also waiting for samba4 to be a little more stable so I am using the ldap slave to create a second instance of zentyal.
The ldap slave seems to be only able to support a singular instance but when samba4 becomes a little more hardened then replication becomes very easy.
So I can have various ltsp servers offering different distro's and with a little tinkering they will be available when needed.

lxc has some great commands lxc-clone just makes it child's play to use a template and make a couple of changes.

Also lxc-start-ephemeral is great as it means what ever changes made during use will just return back to the original blank canvas on reuse.

That way I get my favourite server web gui and all the goodies it supplies.

I could use anything for the container and it might be fedora or bodhi for arm clients.

I will just run through the lxc side of getting things going.

sudo apt-get install lxc
sudo lxc-create -t ubuntu -n zentyal1
sudo lxc-start --name zentyal1

the default logon is ubuntu|ubuntu
and there I am straight away in a another version of ubuntu server
its minimal install so I am going to add a bit more guts
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-standard
I am going to do the standard install of zentyal and thats why I included all the previous stuff about doing it on a standard ubuntu install. So add the debs and update install core and software and build a ltsp server that is a slave of the host.

This way I have a separate ltsp server with a desktop and applications loaded.

Its really simple but the only place I am struggling is the networking.
So that the host zentyal knows that the lxc-zentyal is internal and safe I am thinking that the eth ports should be defined in the host and picked up in lxc-zentyal with the =phys directive.

So what I am trying is to create a virtual eth on vlan-internal which will be lxc-zental wan and then have a second eth port that is separate based on another subnet from the normal internal lan.
My normal internal lan is on vlan100 and 192.168.3.0 and what I am trying to do is have a thin client network on 192.168.4.0.

Those bits look like they should work and in lxc-zentyal I should be able to grab hold with -phys declaration.
What I am confused about is that firstly I would like to say hey this network is safe but I am not going to provide any routing and leave this subnet as safe but not routable unless its going through lxc-zentyal and subsequently host-zentyal.

I created a normal internal vlan v100 and created a virtual eth v1 on 192.168.3.2 which I wanted to pass to lxc-zentyal as its wan port.

I have rebooted and this port is not turning up in the desktop or interfaces?

Also I think hopefully you might know what I am trying to achieve but I am going about this the wrong way?

The default bridge lxcbr0 is because I haven't specified any in lxc.conf so its has created one for me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:58:37 pm by FarquahrWindsor »

FarquahrWindsor

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 01:24:45 pm »
Sep 30 12:44:46 zentyal nbd_server[2364]: Authorized client
Sep 30 12:44:46 zentyal nbd_server[4010]: Starting to serve
Sep 30 12:44:46 zentyal nbd_server[4010]: Size of exported file/device is 267427840
Sep 30 12:44:46 zentyal nbd_server[4010]: Disconnect request received.
Sep 30 12:44:46 zentyal nbd_server[2364]: Child exited with 0

Also the options directive gives me a new log /var/log/zentyal/access-desktop-services.log
But unfortunately empty

Because LSB is now installed I get a message telling me that there is no .xsession files or windowmanger or session to run a session.
Syslog gives some info but not much Child exited with 0 ?

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/LTSPLoginAndSessionHandling

This also lends weight to a hunch that something is wrong with the Zentyal implementation as when you do install a DE that the session is running on the server rather than the chroot that has been created. Or that is the manner its supposed to?

This is also something that I don't like the idea of as firstly it would seem that I am having to butcher my clean headless server further to that I am beginning to install apps such as libre office and gimp so that my thin clients have those applications.

I keep thinking this can't be right surely but if so then I have another option to the 340mb install of LSB before we get to lubuntu-desktop and applications on my PDC.

Its not image size that I am worried about though in a server especially a pdc shouldn't we have some isolation?

Anybody out there able to tell me where LTSP operates is it just a simple x11 session actually at server level?

I have been trying to run in an lxc container so I get isolation and I have managed to slave a full zentyal and grabbed a second subnet vlan200

But I hit a problem. LXC is basically a super chroot so I guess its no possible to chroot a chroot?
sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 mount -t proc proc /proc
mount: block device proc is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: cannot mount block device proc read-only