Author Topic: Installed Zentyal 3 64-Bit - Windows 7 ping lan ok ping wan FAIL!  (Read 3750 times)

ttrerice

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Installed Zentyal 3 64-Bit - Windows 7 ping lan ok ping wan FAIL!
« on: September 19, 2012, 03:45:37 pm »
Hi everyone.  I have installed the new version of zentyal 3.0 64-bit edition.  Now, the same hardware, server etc, and I can get internal network with no problem, but when I ping the outside world, I get nothing.  The zentyal server works perfectly on the WAN and LAN, but the windows 7 machines sometimes will work on the internet, then it drops the internet, but the lan continues to function.  I have read about ARP problems.  Is there a workaround to setup the Zentyal eth0 / eth1 ports or fix the DNS to stop this problem?  Is this a bug with Windows or a bug with zentyal?  I did not have this problem with 2.2, but after going back to the software, it again did have this problem.

I am so confused, and so very sad.  I need someone to help with this!!!

christian

Re: Installed Zentyal 3 64-Bit - Windows 7 ping lan ok ping wan FAIL!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:32:36 pm »
I did not have this problem with 2.2, but after going back to the software, it again did have this problem.

What do you mean with tihs? you reverted back to 2.2 and you face this problem too with 2.2 ?

Just curious: why do you need to ping outside servers from your LAN ?

ttrerice

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 02:23:00 am »
Yes.  After I removed the 3.0, I was experiencing the same problem.  It really only occurs with windows 7 machines, and XP does not seem to have a problem.  I am figuring that I must have something misconfigured.  It is a consistent problem and do not know how to repair this problem.  I was using 2.0 - 2.2 for over one year with no problems.  3.0 caused this problem as far as I could tell.  So I formatted the server, installed the 2.2 version, and am now having the same problem as I did with 3.0.

At first I guessed it was just the machine, so I installed windows 7 pro 64-bit on another computer and experienced the same problem.

Basically this is how I setup the server.

eth0 - 192.168.11.1
eth1 - DHCP - external network is checked

I installed DHCP - setup the bank for 192.168.11.10 - 192.168.11.200

I installed DNS - left at defaults

I setup the firewall as defaults

I can use the internet perfectly on the server.  I am able to logon to any web page.

The Windows XP machines do not seem to have the problem.  They detect the LAN / WAN and can ping beyond LAN such as 8.8.8.8, google.com, yahoo.com etc.

The windows 7 machines do have internet for a moment, then they drop the internet, then they reconnect the internet.  It seems very intermittent... and unexplainable.

I installed a new SWITCH, 1Gb Lan card - the lan cards by the way are realtek 1Gb integrated, and then I installed a 1Gb PCI ethernet, which also was a realtek card.

So, I never had a problem before with 2.0 - 2.2, but then I installed 3.0 64-bit, and started experiencing this as a big problem.

So I am back to a little stinky router and do not have a file server operating and I am lost.

When I follow the regular installation, I do not experience any problems with Windows XP as far as I can tell.  But the Windows 7 machines are very confusing.

Sometimes I can put the DNS in manually and it seems to work for a bit.

What I don't understand is that I can ping the WAN most of the time, and then it drops the connection, and I can only access the LAN -

This is confirmed.

I installed it three times.  So either I am installing something incorrectly, or I am missing a step.

Then I reverted back to 2.2, and still have the problem.

I have 16 years experience with repair, and networking, and I am totally confused by this problem.

The following was replaced -

SERVER - NIC 1 and 2 with PCI nic
The server is P4 3.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HARD DRIVE, 2 Intel Nic

Client - NIC 1 is Realtek 1Gb, Nic2 (Nic1 was disabled during testing) Realtek PCI

Switch - 5 Port Switch Replaced with one in new box

Re-installed software- Fail on 7 64-bit version

Re-installed software - Fail on 7 this time with 32-bit version

Am I just crazy?  Does anyone know what is going on?  i need help!!!

Thank-you!

ttrerice

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
How to setup Zentyal - Two network cards - One External One Internal
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 02:45:38 am »
Hi - I have a Zentyal setup, and I need it to share my internet connection from my cable modem.

The computers I am using - Windows XP Pro x2, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit x3

The server configuration -

IBM Server, P4, 4GB DDR2 ECC, 500GB S-ATA HDD, DVD-RW, 2 NIC

One Charter Cable Modem for Business

I need to setup External WAN on ETH1
I need to setup Internet LAN on ETH0 - 192.168.11.1

I need to have it serve DHCP bank of address - 192.168.11.100 - 192.168.11.150

I also need to setup a shared UTILITY folder for public client access (so everyone can access this folder)

I setup the following -

eth0 - static - 192.168.11.1
eth1 - DHCP - (it picks up my cable modem IP - 24.x.x.x)

It automatically sets up my gateway as charter.something.lan 24.x.x.x

It then sets up my DNS from my cable modem IP (using charter DNS servers)

I can get the IP addresses on my machines - I can ping the servers eth0 card just fine

I can ping the internet sometimes, but when I open web pages on the windows 7 machines,
there are no pages.  The icon in the lower right has a yellow ! in it.  Then a little while later
the yellow ! goes away, but I still can not get webpages.  I then decide it must be DNS, so I manually entered in 8.8.8.8 - it seemed to work for a minute or so, then it dropped the connection again.

I go over to the windows xp machines, and they are working wonderfully.  No problems.

What am I doing wrong?

Just take into consideration that I don't know what to check.

Please assist!

Thank-you!

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 03:14:42 am »
Lets start with what we know.
2.2 or 3.0 doesn't make a difference
Windows XP and I assume linux works so you can let out physical layer problems
DNS was reconfigured on the Win7 machines to 8.8.8.8 so you can let out local dns as an issue

Can you ping 8.8.8.8 when the Win7 machine is acting flakey?
Is there a firewall turned on on the Win7 machine?
Does Win7 identify the local network as public/home/ or business ?
You mention the ARP problem that some have reported.  Have you seen incorrect ARP entries for your gateway on the effected machines?

ttrerice

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 03:29:23 am »
At times, my gateway on the windows 7 machine says that it is the 24.x.x.x number instead of the 192.168.11.1 for Gateway - which does not make any sense.

The computer with windows 7 - it is on the work network

The other computer with windows 7 is also on the work network

When I did a ipconfig /all sometimes it says 192.168.11.1 and sometimes it says 24.x.x.x instead of the number.

What is crazy is that I am using the zentyal server right now on the windows xp machine to write this note.

SO I confused as to what the problem is with the windows 7 -

At times you can ping 8.8.8.8 at other times when the network icon goes to ! yellow and i can still ping internal LAN server and workstations, but no internet.

At times it will ping 8.8.8.8 and google.com - but when I open a browser, I can not browse any webpages.

I completely formatted and re-installed one of the machines and continue to have the problem.

I don't know what else to check.

christian

Re: How to setup Zentyal - Two network cards - One External One Internal
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 05:48:04 am »
1 - Could you please provide more details about DHCP settings?
- default gateway, DNS
2 - are you using HTTP proxy ?
3 - does internet browsing work from Zentyal server itself ?

Shall I also merge this topic with the other one you opened that is discussing same issue (Win7 clients)  ::) ???
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:50:57 am by christian »

christian

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 05:57:23 am »
I remember similar issue with Win7 grabbing external Zentyal IP as default gateway but it appeared that installation was wrong, with both Zentyal interfaces on same switch. I suppose we are not in this situation.
I also remember some discussion about wrong Win 7 ARP table but I really can't figure how Zentyal could push its external MAC address inside  ???

Could you please describe your network layout?

ttrerice

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 02:00:28 pm »
Charter Cable Modem - Cat5e to Server Port eth1 - Cat5e to Switch 24-Port 1Gb - Workstations

What I do not understand is that everything with XP seems perfectly fine.  But with Windows 7, we have this difficulty.

I do not know what to do next. 

ttrerice

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 02:05:11 pm »
DHCP - I have defaults. I did not modify the settings at all.

The Zentyal server has webpages.  I can browse anywhere on the internet. No problem.

DNS - settings are left at default.

XP Machines do not seem to have the problem with browsing, pinging 8.8.8.8, or nslookup.

Windows 7 Machines - have a problem with browsing, it sometimes works, then it drops the connection, then we can ping 8.8.8.8, and we can use nslookup... when I run a lookup like yahoo.com, it says DNS server refuses to resolve. It then will resolve at a little later time.  Then the internet browsing does not work.

I entered in 8.8.8.8 manually into the DNS of the tcp/ip 4, and sometimes the internet will work.  Then it drops out again.

I thought it was the switch, so I replaced the switch.  What I did not understand is that it was only doing this with windows 7 machines.

So what do I do next?  What can I check?

ttrerice

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:05:50 pm »
Merging the topic would probably be a good idea.  I was not sure if I phrased the question properly.

christian

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 02:26:26 pm »
thus I merged  8)

even if you're not sure to have phrased it properly, please do not start multiple threads. Rephrase it within same initial one. It doesn't help to have same question in parallel elsewhere but just makes things more "fuzzy" :(

ttrerice

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 03:38:45 pm »
Well, I have to admit something that I did not realize.

I did resolve this problem, and I hope my trouble has helped everyone else if they run into this.

Something so stupid that it should have caused a problem but it did.

Here is the answer.

There is a ethernet cable that ran to a closet about 400 feet away.  Something that has been there for years. 

When I setup my zentyal server, I did not have that cable plugged in last year.  This year, I got a new switch.  As I stated above...

The switch has the cable that was running into the closet about 400 feet away hooked back up.

Now I have the answer.

There was an old wireless router with 192.168.11.1 (buffalo tech) that has been re-activated.

This was causing the refusal.  For some reason windows xp would grab the information properly from the zentyal.  For some reason, the windows 7 were able to grab the ip from the zentyal, and then try to run the gateway on the buffalo router.

Causing the intermittent up and down.

Thank-you all for the help.  Sorry zentyal... it's not 3.0  -

3.0 is amazing!

Thanks again.