Author Topic: Data Streaming... Skype....Netflix  (Read 3640 times)

vshaulsk

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Data Streaming... Skype....Netflix
« on: February 17, 2012, 03:04:58 pm »
My system is both a business server and a home server (my business is at home).  I have 50Mb download and 3MB upload.

I use Skype for business and some personal.

My family watches netflix either using XBMC or the Playstation3.

I am constantly having issues with streaming and connection.  In Skype (I have set a dedicated port) it always shows poor upload connection.  For netflix I always have trouble with having poor streaming or some times now able to connect at all.  The playstation3 always times out when trying to connect to the playstation network.

I have tried each one of these systems individually with no one else on the network.  I have also tried using the traffic shaping module and I still get the same results.  However if I bypass Zentyal and just go directly to the internet I don't have any issues.  This leads me to believe that zentyal is causing the issues. 

The only thing that is throwing a wrench in this is that any regular download or torrent download goes at full speed with now issues.  Also speedtest shows the correct speed statistics.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how to diagnose what could possibly be causing my streaming issues..... Maybe it is a antivirus thing????  Any suggestions would be great !!!!  Also if anyone is using these services with no issues it would be nice to know as well (this way I do know they work hahaha)

Thank you !!!

robb

Re: Data Streaming... Skype....Netflix
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 07:42:33 pm »
Do you have a clear overview on your bandwidth usage?
You are probably searching for something like QoS. However, there is a huge catch with QoS. With consumer connections that are shared connections (overbooking of 1:10 or worse) can't be reliably configured with QoS.

You could try to reserve some bandwith for Voip. I think you have to experiment with throttling settings.

vshaulsk

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Data Streaming... Skype....Netflix
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:19:37 pm »
I have tried this as well.   

The part that gets me is if I take zentyal out of the equation.  Just put a simple router in place and connect my client pc..... I get great connections for both skype and netflix (PS3 I don't use a hole lot so I will take it out of the equation).

Now when the zentyal box is in place... whether the traffic module is in place or not... the connections start off good, but quickly go bad on skype (on netflix it either does not start of hangs later..... telling me my network connection is the problem).

I have ran test with no other traffic on the network and I have also tried putting in bandwidth reservations.

I give skype a minimum of 1MB, but I never see it about 20kb....

It is like something in the zentyal box is slowing it down.