Author Topic: How to install webmail on ebox ?  (Read 8555 times)

znguissi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
How to install webmail on ebox ?
« on: December 19, 2007, 01:03:23 pm »
Hi guys

I'll like to provide Webmail access to my users. How to do it with ebox ?

Thanx
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 02:31:39 pm by Jorge Arcas »
Knowledge is free !

dmeireles

• Zen Monk
  • Masturbation, the human version of autoexec.bat
    • View Profile
Re: How to install webmail on ebox ?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 03:43:19 pm »
I would advise you to install a webmail client on another server... Not that it's NOT an eBox problem, but since you are already using the eBox server to send and recieve, you shouldn't put the webmail service in another machine, just like you would distribute one's corporate services through several dedicated servers

baboo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 05:54:05 pm »
znguissi: They are using postfix for MTA. Go to /etc/postfix. Edit main.cf. Reload postfix 'postfix reload'. Start postfix: /etc/init.d/postfix start.

they are using courier-imap. That sucks but what the hey (wish they would use dovecot). Go to /etc/courier and edit config file. Start courier.

In the control panel of ebox go to mail and fill out the 3 items that they have there.

Then you are good to go. Then users will be able to access mail from any browser.

znguissi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 08:17:52 pm »
Guyzzzzzzzzzz do u know why i use ebox ? because it is easy to install, configure and use.

I'm not a Linux expert but i know how to do basic administration (I have the Linux Bible 2006 book).

Please Baboo, or you reading this message, can u provide me a small howto on how to get webmail working on ebox.

Than u
Knowledge is free !

baboo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 08:40:02 pm »
znguissi: Believe me when I say, I understand your pain. Everything I've ever configured in Linux has come at a great price of time.

I don't use ebox for mail. Its actually one of the few things I don't like about it. I think the interface to mail is hindering. For me, I don't know how anyone could configure an enterprise mail server from that interface. If I was going to setup mail from ebox, I would do it as I said before. I would go to /etc/postfix and edit main.cf for my needs. Sorry, I really understand.

Its really not as bad as it sounds. I know the first time you look at the config file its bewildering. However, if you decide to take it on, I can provide steps for getting a straightforward no frills email server up and running. I would be willing to do that because others have done it for me many years ago. If not, perhaps one of the other members has done it and will take the time to help you use the gui.

Good luck

znguissi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:04:42 pm »
Baboo, thank u for spending your time reading me.

Here is the challenge (for me !!!), i have a network of 500 users right now and something like 50 computers. i need to setup pdc + file server + mail server. for the first 2 features ebox is the solution for me. There is a multimedia centre with 30 computers and most of the 500 users use to work there, the rest of computers are in offices. that is why i want to provide webmail access.

I found this http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-ubuntu-7.10 on the web on how to setup a mail server.

Do u have any suggestion for the best or optimal setup i can use to acheive this goal ?
Knowledge is free !

baboo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 07:48:08 am »
thanks for the comments. I read the link and its pretty good. Falko does a pretty good job. Its very hard to say what is optimal. I have an email server running on slackware with 1200 users. Its all webmail and great! I don't have to touch the clients.

I built it from scratch using postfix, dovecot, and openldap. I'm happy with it. Like you I have been looking for something that is integrated and simple to setup. Haven't quite found it yet. Ebox is pretty nice but I certainly would like to see better features in some of the modules.

I think for a first time server, the link you posted would be a good effort. You could build that on ebox or ubuntu. Ebox has all the components and with the guide you should be able to configure your mail server from the command line. Not a big fan of ubuntu, but a lot of people like it. If I can help, I will. I'm not on the forum all the time but try to check in several times a day.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 09:42:23 am »
I built it from scratch using postfix, dovecot, and openldap. I'm happy with it. Like you I have been looking for something that is integrated and simple to setup. Haven't quite found it yet. Ebox is pretty nice but I certainly would like to see better features in some of the modules.

Hi there,

Which features do you miss? Why do you think mail user interface is hindering? We appreciate any hint or help.

Anyway, thanks very much for giving us feedback and support!
My secret is my silence...

znguissi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 10:08:41 am »
sixstone :

Ebox is doing all i want except for webmail. Please just let me know how to integrate webmail. I don't want to use a seperate computer for mails and I want users to user the same account log into their workstation and check their mail from any browser on any computer of the network an even from the web.

If i can do that, my problem will be solved. Meaning, if i have a feature to request,  i'll like to see a webmail integrated in futures releases of ebox.
Knowledge is free !

davidubi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2007, 11:39:54 am »
This howto is more complete, and it uses dovecot instead of courier.
Based on debian, more stable than ubuntu.

http://www.howtoforge.net/postfix_mysql_dovecot_dspam_clamav_postgrey_rbl_debian_etch

I really like ebox, it would be a very nice addition to have a webmail interface for users, something like openwebmail or squirrelmail.

baboo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 02:12:25 pm »
sixstone: Sometimes I come across a little harsh, don't mean to. I like ebox but the frontend to postfix and courier is too simplified. I would like to have something like webmin's postfix form. It gives you all the capibility of editing main.cf from command line but in form  factor.

Now I have just started playing with ebox so maybe there is more in the control panel. If under mail heading that is all there is for options, then to truly configure an enterprise mail server, you would have to do it at the command line. I don't mind that but it defeats having all the admin controls in a conrtol panel. My co-workers who are Windows only could not configure the email server from the command line.

I am hoping tomorrow I have time to bring up a lan with ebox as the frontend to network. So, I will give feedback as I configure it. In fact I will be using all the components of ebox.

cheers

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2007, 04:50:25 pm »
sixstone: Sometimes I come across a little harsh, don't mean to. I like ebox but the frontend to postfix and courier is too simplified. I would like to have something like webmin's postfix form. It gives you all the capibility of editing main.cf from command line but in form  factor.

Now I have just started playing with ebox so maybe there is more in the control panel. If under mail heading that is all there is for options, then to truly configure an enterprise mail server, you would have to do it at the command line. I don't mind that but it defeats having all the admin controls in a conrtol panel. My co-workers who are Windows only could not configure the email server from the command line.

I am hoping tomorrow I have time to bring up a lan with ebox as the frontend to network. So, I will give feedback as I configure it. In fact I will be using all the components of ebox.

cheers

Great to hear that. The problem here, as always, is the user target scope. This tool is intended to ease the administration of a SME network and too complicated service with UI (as mail service is) may confuse a user who only want to set up a SMTP server to send its own emails. By the way, I think the mail module is quite complete but, as everything, it might be enhanced with users as you are  ;).

Your user feedback may improve this tool, so don't hesitate to help us!

Best regards baboo,

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 04:55:47 pm »
sixstone :

Ebox is doing all i want except for webmail. Please just let me know how to integrate webmail. I don't want to use a seperate computer for mails and I want users to user the same account log into their workstation and check their mail from any browser on any computer of the network an even from the web.

If i can do that, my problem will be solved. Meaning, if i have a feature to request,  i'll like to see a webmail integrated in futures releases of ebox.
Yeah, it's a common feature request. We may address this in a few months time slot.

znguissi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 12:22:37 am »

sixstone and baboo

I have attached a network diagram to this message to help you understand what i'm trying to do.

Waiting for your suggestions ...
Knowledge is free !

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 02:09:41 pm »
Hi there,

I've just written a quick document[0] to install a webmail on your eBox machine.

Any suggestions, improvements or rewrites with screenshots are very welcomed.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 02:29:09 pm by Jorge Arcas »