Author Topic: Trying to install 3.0 RC1  (Read 6424 times)

christian

Trying to install 3.0 RC1
« on: September 02, 2012, 05:33:59 pm »
Today, as I had some availability, I decided to give a try to Ze 3.0 RC1.
Once ISO was downloaded and burn, I launch installation on my preferred sandbox made of Via C7 small server.
Everything went fine until I provided network related info. Since it looks like everything is blocked, waiting for something...
Opening an alternate console, I can see in syslog that:
Code: [Select]
state is now 6
network config complete
.../...
writing DHCP stanza for eth1
Success !

then nothing  :-[

any idea ???
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:35:50 am by christian »

Sam Graf

Re: Trying to install 3.0 RC1
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:50:43 pm »
So you were providing network information during the initial setup--the interface configuration part?

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 05:54:46 pm »
3.0 RC1 Harware wise is asus / intel and serverboard so about as middle of the road you can get.

With the above no probs so far or anything like you said.

Have you checked if there is anything at Ubuntu level with 12.04 and your VIA C7?

christian

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 05:54:52 pm »
yes kind of.
I selected the main interface, then changed hostname and waited... forever  ;)
I'm trying now using "expert" mode, although I might nit be expert enough  ;D ;D

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 06:01:55 pm »
"Via C7 ubuntu install crash" google brings up quite a bit with one of those deep inhales of breath.

Newer 10 > ubuntu seems quite a few posts, gonna have to leave you with it Chris.

Sam Graf

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 06:14:27 pm »
...and waited... forever
It was a different module, but I had a similar experience on my first installation. It hung up during installtion of a module (was 100% complete but never seemed to actually finished). I had to start over fresh and so far, the problem has not recurred. :-\

christian

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 06:20:30 pm »
Indeed "expert mode" install is currently running and progressing smoothly. I'll keep you informed.
Once I'm done with 3.0 testing, I'll try stand install again.

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 06:39:16 pm »
Glad to here it.

I have a habit because of the partitioning of running expert mode. I think someone maybe document that one time.
I always wonder "Expert Mode".

Is anyone doing any documentation?

Good luck Christian, I found the RC a breeze.

Only thing I could find was the samba thing. Everything core seems solid.

It was great to see my first preview of 3.0.

Stuart

christian

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:05:30 pm »
much better but not yet smooth:
Some modules reported error when saving changes . More information on the logs in /var/log/zentyal/

The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: mailfilter The following modules failed while saving their changes, their state is unknown: mailfilter at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/GlobalImpl.pm line 682 EBox::GlobalImpl::saveAllModules('EBox::GlobalImpl=HASH(0xa00c4cc)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x92c4f8c)') called at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Global.pm line 95 EBox::Global::AUTOLOAD('EBox::Global=HASH(0xa00c198)', 'progress', 'EBox::ProgressIndicator=HASH(0x92c4f8c)') called at /usr/share/zentyal/global-action line 39

Web interface is indeed slightly faster but overall installation, on same platform (as I always use this one for testing purpose) was much faster with 2.2

Some comments based on my very first feeling while configuring:
- I was hoping DHCP server to offer capability to add options  :'( :'(
- This means still no easy WPAD... well no change neither with HTTP proxy except message promoting small business or enterprise version  :-\
- it looks like there is a kind of delegation model with DNS but I'm for the time being a bit confused with DNSupdateProxy group: it describes DHCP service while it is supposed to contain account... I need to investigate  because I'm lost :-[
- For the time being, I can't connect to LDAP server. Error message about NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE (while using simple authentication, no success neither with Kerb)  ::)

So I need to drill down  ;)

christian

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 08:58:55 pm »
Kind of annoying: access to LDAP anonymously doesn't work neither...  :'( :'(

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 09:01:44 pm »
much better but not yet smooth:

Web interface is indeed slightly faster but overall installation, on same platform (as I always use this one for testing purpose) was much faster with 2.2

Some comments based on my very first feeling while configuring:
- I was hoping DHCP server to offer capability to add options  :'( :'(

- it looks like there is a kind of delegation model with DNS but I'm for the time being a bit confused with DNSupdateProxy group: it describes DHCP service while it is supposed to contain account... I need to investigate  because I'm lost :-[
- For the time being, I can't connect to LDAP server. Error message about NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE (while using simple authentication, no success neither with Kerb)  ::)

So I need to drill down  ;)

DHCP manual option dialog would be great if not needed. I add to the tears  :'(

The AD controller samba 4 has me puzzled as well but I am presuming these are authentication and timing daemons with the Samba4.
Hands up don't really understand the DNS/Kerberos thing.

Don't laugh as I come from a long line of retards. I posted a sort of quick access to a RC2 VM.

Can be stolen, straightened, manipulated and generally warped if you wish to do so. No rights, but just an idea?

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 09:08:13 pm »
I did try and attach an .RTF but gave up, its tiny as well?

Zentyal 3.0 RC1 Win7 64 Vitualbox VM

If you are a newcomer to Zentyal then you might also be a newcomer to linux.

So apologies to others but here goes my Zentyal considerations.

Right from the basics.
The normal repository for Zentyal can be found at http://www.zentyal.org/downloads/ with the beta version here.
http://www.zentyal.org/beta/
Go grab your self an ISO.
Run virtual box.
Its basic stuff but my first suggestion is to have two hardware NICs. Reasoning is pure laziness and separation of blame.

My VM Setup

>Click New
>Name your VM
>Choose OS [Linux]
>Choose Version [Ubuntu 64]
>Next
>Next
>Next
>Next
>Next

? Was that enough nexts, but you get the point just go with the defaults.
>Create

I named mine Expert Install and unfortunately this is no reflection of the author. Not yet anyway as that is up for community participation.

Departing from default
I also changes a few of the VM settings.
Select your newly created VM and its back the the network interfaces.
You will automatically have Adaptor1
Set it bridges and choose your internet connection.
In the name choose the right adaptor name from windows.
Enable adapter1 and the same bridge rather than NAT.
This time select your second adaptor.

I really suggest this as things can get hellish confusing if you have a couple of DHCP / DNS servers on the same LAN. Especially ones that don't fit the intended purpose.
I usually get rid of any unwanted hardware such as audio (Its a server sim).

Last thing is to load the ISO into the virtual CD.
Right click on your VM
>Settings
>Select the storage pane.
>Left click on the CD
>Select Setup Virtual Cd/DVD Drive.

Why Expert mode
Start the VM
Select Expert Mode

Select your keyboard and mouse
Do the default until you get to the primary network interface dialog. If you got it right then you should have two choice and ETH0: should be your WAN.
Then I am going to select the default host name [ZENTYAL] and choose the username webadmin and the password is password.

Its the do the default thing again.

Help I am ranting and raving again
I usually have a little tantrum here as virtual box steals the screen capture. Aaaaargh its done it again. Please someone tell me the answer :)

[!!] Partioning

This is where its all at. This is the expert bit as there are so many choices and configurations.
It's not merely about partitions but Linux mount points such as HOME where all the users data is kept.
Here you can attach disks, partitions and mount points to either which is much different to windows.
I would prob have a separate disk for /Home, maybe /Var.
This is all very dependent on what you want to use Zentyal for in terms of server type of most use.

Expert mode isn't scary.
Thats it basically, expert mode
It gives you the option to provide specifics and change from the default.
Disks, partitioning and mount points is a document on its own. Another time maybe and will need some help on that one.

The install is ended select the default to all and ready to click continue to reboot.

Hey presto, I just logged in and I am going to select gateway and add the DHCP and FileSharing modules. Because I have OCD I am going to turn off the TraffickShaping, Layer7 and VPN modules. Its my default Zentyal Base to build from. Its a matter of clicking install.

OK that and ahem to that :)

My M$SBS replacement is a simple single server affair and thats what we have all we need to do is configure the Lan. The DHCP is currently disabled. If this was live, your network could already be preferring Zentyal.

So to configure the Lan we need to configure the operation of the two network cards that Zentyal acts as a walled piggy in the middle.
I always use ETH0: as my primary WAN connection just something I do. So this is an external connection. LAN being the opposite we need a non-routable. Usually 192.168.3.15 with me and set to static. The WAN will use the DHCP of the router so that is set to dynamic.
The catch with the DHCP is that its the only module disabled by default sometimes a snag for a few.
In the DHCP settings edit the configuration and apply a default range.

From 192.168.3.16 to 192.168.3.254 gives me a good subnet and get ready to connect clients.

Thats it Really.
If your new to zentyal and don't want feature confusion but want to see how things are configured.
Get things up and running in a similar operation vain as SBS then this quick guide is up for editing.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:44:41 pm by stuartiannaylor »

christian

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 10:28:58 pm »
LDAP issue => I just forgot to use "non standard port" number to access LDAP. It works accessing LDAP on port 390  ;)
This said, I'm wondering why setting is not done the other way around, meaning LDAP for standard purpose listening on ports 389/636 and LDAP for Samba listening on whatever else  ???  ::)

christian

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 12:43:10 am »
Some progresses here and there but also some surprises like this one:
Sep  3 00:41:37 zentyaltest kernel: [21627.401159] init: zentyal.s4sync main process (13299) killed by PIPE signal
Sep  3 00:41:37 zentyaltest kernel: [21627.401261] init: zentyal.s4sync main process ended, respawning
that is flooding syslog  :-\

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 12:06:36 pm »
Zentyal 3.0 RC1 Win7 64 Vitualbox VM

If you are a newcomer to Zentyal then you might also be a newcomer to linux.

So apologies to others but here goes my Zentyal considerations.

Right from the basics.
The normal repository for Zentyal can be found at http://www.zentyal.org/downloads/ with the beta version here.
http://www.zentyal.org/beta/

Apols but here is where I start again as the community site doesn't lend itself to collaboration in respect to modern tools.

The internet is abuzz of new forms of social collaboration and there are many platforms.

Come on council I will let you word it. Why is everything so hard and disparate when there are so many off the shelf options to share modern techniques.

I know my guide is rough, but creating a post like that through what we have available, is painful.
My question is why?