Author Topic: First release candidate for Zentyal 3.0 available!  (Read 12170 times)

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.0-rc1 images available for testing!
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2012, 12:50:36 pm »
Huh? I just downloaded the Zentyal 3.0-rc1 image, burned it to a CD and it installed just fine.

Arch

It seems not all install options lead to a Zentyal installation, then. Could anyone let me (us) know which options to chose and which not to chose?

I am running it on Hyper-V (shouldn't matter) which is why I chose minimal virtual server installation. Also, as I only want the bridge/firewall options, I'd prefer not to install too much (waste of space and requires maintenance).

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2012, 01:14:55 pm »
Currently trying a normal installation that install X no less... I expect the final installation to be significantly larger than the minimal virtual install. I was hoping for a web-only solution but I know this is a pipe-dream as Zentyal firewall completely shuts off all communication when installed. I would still vote for at least letting zentyal web to pass through per default.

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2012, 02:10:00 pm »
Well, I completed the normal installation and it all looked fine (installed network and firewall modules), up until the moment I configured eth0 and eth1 to be bridged with br1 using dhcp. This reconfiguration caused an error in zentyal (firewall) that I couldn't save anywhere (no text editor installed). Since that moment, my network configuration hasn't worked. Zentyal reports the correct configuration, but zentyal has no IP configuration anymore and the webpage is inaccessible as a result. I tried running "dhclient br1" which used to help on zentyal-2.3, but in 3.0 it fails with iptables giving this error: option "--physdev-is-bridged" cannot be inverted.

So, now I have a 3.0 install with no network configuration and no network access and no obvious way to proceed (except for a total reinstall).

I'd like to call this a huge bug. :-/

robb

Re: First release candidate for Zentyal 3.0 available!
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 02:35:59 pm »
his reconfiguration caused an error in zentyal (firewall) that I couldn't save anywhere (no text editor installed)

What about leafpad, nano and vim that are installed on a zentyal server by default?

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2012, 02:54:50 pm »
In a followup to my previous network configuration issue:

Zentyal managed to produce a packet storm, shutting down the WAN switch.

Can anyone give me any insight in whether Zentyal is able to create a firewall usable on bridged networks or not? Currently, zentyal fails miserably, but that could be a beta issue.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 04:08:58 pm »
Well, I completed the normal installation and it all looked fine (installed network and firewall modules), up until the moment I configured eth0 and eth1 to be bridged with br1 using dhcp. This reconfiguration caused an error in zentyal (firewall) that I couldn't save anywhere (no text editor installed). Since that moment, my network configuration hasn't worked. Zentyal reports the correct configuration, but zentyal has no IP configuration anymore and the webpage is inaccessible as a result. I tried running "dhclient br1" which used to help on zentyal-2.3, but in 3.0 it fails with iptables giving this error: option "--physdev-is-bridged" cannot be inverted.

So, now I have a 3.0 install with no network configuration and no network access and no obvious way to proceed (except for a total reinstall).

I'd like to call this a huge bug. :-/

You can call this a huge bug, but this time it's not a Zentyal one :)

We've checked it and it's a bug of iptables 1.4.12 (the version on the Ubuntu 12.04 repositories), luckily it was already fixed on the 1.4.13 version, so we hope the fix will hit the repository soon. I've already reported it on launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/iptables/+bug/1042260
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 04:22:15 pm by J. A. Calvo »
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2012, 04:37:48 pm »
Thank you for this research. I take it the fastest solution for me is to start all over and make a clean install (doesn't take so long) once iptables 1.4.13 has been released.

I take it zentyal should be able to bridge 2 nics and apply various working firewall rules? I am not doing something weird here, right?

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 04:45:11 pm »
Yes, bridged interfaces should work without problem as soon as iptables is fixed :)
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

Zrubi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2012, 09:31:08 am »
Hi,

Just installed the beta....

I trying to solve the following scenario:

* We have  a main site:
here are some win2008 servers, win7 desktops
We need  a PDC and for those and some users/groups in the LDAP for authentication.
Is there any documentation how to do this with the new beta?
I just tried, but I was not able to join any machine. They were missing the ldap SRV entry from the domain.
But after I solved this, still got an error like this:

"This operation is only allowed on the primary domain controller of the domain"

* and 2 other site (in a hosting environment):
here  are also some win2008 server and win7 (virtual) desktops
We also need a DC (per site) here to join the machines and to use the same user accounts as in the main site.

As I hope we will be able to set up 1 master DC and 2 slave for the hosted  sites.
Is there any documentation how to do this with the new beta?

Thanks.

christian

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2012, 09:42:55 am »
May I suggest that issues related to beta deployment are discussed in the right forum section instead of the "news and announcements" ?

If needed, please create your own topic there but do not jeopardize this one  ;)

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2012, 06:02:53 pm »
Anyone got any good guides on how to connect to Samba4 and start providing policies?
(in conjunction win 7)

I will post my own findings but just wondered.

ricvee

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 11:19:18 am »
Hi,

is there a upgrade-script or procedure to upgrade from Zentyal 2.2.7 tot 3?

Greetings

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2012, 12:15:09 pm »
Dunno actually but being an RC I am just running it with virtual box.

Have a load of clones running at the moment with various module combinations.

My advice would be to wait for any production use.

Need any virtual box tips please ask away.

Stuart