Author Topic: Upgraded. Now just /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket errors.  (Read 6682 times)

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Upgraded. Now just /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket errors.
« on: August 21, 2012, 06:50:54 pm »
I have made a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (minimal virtual install), added zentyal-network and zentyal-firewall. I configured it in bridge mode and it worked, although the firewall didn't block anything.

I figured I'd try to upgrade to the latest zentyal from your repository, but since I have done that, almost nothing works anymore, most importantly, no network connections are setup.

On the console I see this error has popped up after I upgraded zentyal:

status: Unable to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

The directory dbus doesn't even exist.

How can I proceed from this error? I can't download anything as there is not network connection. While I can bring eth0 up, I don't know how to configure it (needs DHCP). I have a feeling the zentyal upgrade was missing a dependency, but I don't know which one.

Suggestions?

Right now I am thinking of throwing it away and start from scratch and NOT upgrade zentyal (and figure out how to make the firewall work)...

Also, the default setting of the firewall when enabling it is so closed that I cannot read zentyal web port from another host and the server has no GUI, just command line. How do I poke a hole through the firewall on the bridged network, br1, using the command line?

robb

Re: Upgraded. Now just /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket errors.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:09:06 pm »
Hi Galmok,

What version of Zentyal did you install on top of Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS?

The current stable version, Zentyal 2.2, is developed for Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS.
The beta version, Zentyal 2.3, is developed for Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS.

For the beta version the 1st release candidate is expected this week, or ultimately, next week. This will be the base for the new verzion Zentyal 3.0. Releasedate for Zentyal 3.0 is scheduled for September 13th (3,5 or so weeks from now)

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 07:18:21 pm »
zentyal-common is version 2.3.8.
zentyal-core is version 2.3.19.
zentyal-firewall is version 2.3.8.
zentyal-network is version 2.3.12.
zentyal-objects is version 2.3.6.
zentyal-services is version 2.3.7.

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:23:34 pm »
Oh, while I remember:

Right after I upgraded, I reloaded the webpage and it did show zentyal being there. I enabled the network and firewall modules (they got disabled in the upgrade) and then I lost connection to the webpage. I checked the console and saw some dbus errors. I checked the iptables and noted that they had stuff in them which I assumed was the reason I couldn't access the web. I restarted the server and ended up with no networking at all. And here I am, still having no luck restoring network.

robb

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 10:12:07 am »
Then, it is not clear to me what you mean with 'upgraded'
If you started with a clean Ubuntu 12.04 and installed zentyal 2.3 beta on top of that, to that is a new install.

Did this happen when you updated some of the packages of Zentyal 2.3?
If so, from wich version of the packages did you update?
If not, try to purge the affecting modules and reinstall those.

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:33:11 am »
I use Ubunty 12.04 LTS which has some zentyal packages in the repository. Zentyal core is 2.3.4. But zentyal-firewall isn't working (allows everything through the bridge) which I hoped was fixed with zentyal 2.3.8 (the dashboard informed me I was running 2.3.4 and that 2.3.8 was available). But I had to include a thirdparty (official zentyal) repository and upgrade zentyal to 2.3.8 from there. But this upgrade broke Ubunty badly, resulting in dbus error and no network.

robb

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:11 am »
Did you have a look at http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/Installation/InstallationGuide ??
Can you check if you have all the repositories for zentyal 2.3 added in /etc/apt/sources.list

Zentyal 2.3 packages

For Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise). You should install the server edition.

Add to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/zentyal/2.3/ubuntu precise main

In order to authenticate the packages in the PPA you can import its public key with the following command:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 10E239FF

You may also copy & paste this single command line in order to add the repository along with the key

sudo apt-get install -y python-software-properties && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zentyal/2.3 && sudo apt-get update

The groupware module (zentyal-zarafa) needs an extra repository added in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://archive.zentyal.org/zentyal 2.3 main extra

If this doesn't help, you could consider using the zentyal 2.3 installer
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:02:27 am by robb »

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 12:47:42 pm »
Did you have a look at http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/Installation/InstallationGuide ??
This is the guide I followed, although I upgraded instead of clean-installed zentyal.
Can you check if you have all the repositories for zentyal 2.3 added in /etc/apt/sources.list
There doesn't seem to be any zentyal repositories in that list. This is strange as I did use the commands below to upgrade:
You may also copy & paste this single command line in order to add the repository along with the key

sudo apt-get install -y python-software-properties && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zentyal/2.3 && sudo apt-get update
If this doesn't help, you could consider using the zentyal 2.3 installer
That is an option I haven't tried yet.

I did find this in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zentyal-2_3-precise.list, though:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/zentyal/2.3/ubuntu precise main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/zentyal/2.3/ubuntu precise main

Maybe I should uninstall zentyal 2.3.4 completely before installing 2.3.8. But can't see why this wouldn't cause dbus errors.

Regarding dbus: I do not have any package installed creating the dbus socket. This is why I originally thought that 2.3.8 is expecting dbus socket to be present but doesn't have the dependency for the package providing the dbus socket. This would explain the dbus error and possibly also why zentyal caused this problem in the first place?

robb

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 01:29:18 pm »
Can you add the zentyal 2.3 repositories to sources.list then do a 'sudo apt-get update' ?
After that upgrade your system... I think it has to do with the lack of those repositories.

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 01:44:00 pm »
Can you add the zentyal 2.3 repositories to sources.list then do a 'sudo apt-get update' ?
After that upgrade your system... I think it has to do with the lack of those repositories.

Just for confirmation: The zentyal source in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ has no value in this respect? Because it contains the exact line you want me to add to /etc/apt/sources.list. It seems to be, the sources.list.d directory is just na easier way to manage 3rd party repositories.

But I can try to add the lines from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zentyal-2_3-precise.list to /etc/apt/sources.list (like this), just to test it:

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zentyal-2_3-precise.list >> /etc/apt/sources.list

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 01:46:47 pm »
Also, I did get partial network working:

sudo ifconfig eth0 up
sudo dhclient eth0

The last command produces numerous dbus errors, but eth0 received IP information. But I have no name-servers and as such, I can't access named repositories. How do I get name-service running (provided by dhcp)?

Edit: /etc/resolv.conf has the correct information, but nslookup doesn't use it. Could be I am lacking a gateway/route information? I though dhclient would set this up...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:50:32 pm by galmok »

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 03:04:08 pm »
Turns out it was the iptables wrecking my communication. Finally found the commands to allow everything through:

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
iptables -F

Now I can use FQDN again. Never used iptables before which is why I couldn't understand what was going on.

I could now enter the zentyal web page again and reconfigure my network. The upgrade simply erased the current configuration and when I recreated the bridge, it worked. It unfortunately also enabled the firewall again which means zentyal is yet again unavailable for configuration... sigh.

Could we perhaps get a default configuration that is not so strict? It is frustrating to mess manually with iptables to punch holes through when a web-UI is so very close at hand, yet still out of reach.

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »
I reboot my system to see what the stored settings would start my server with, and well, as expected, the firewall was in total blocking mode, so I opened it with the above 4 iptables commands. The settings looked ok, but checking things on the command line, I could see that /etc/resolv.conf was empty (nslookup didn't work), but br1 did have an ip (so dhcp had been run). My routing table was also lacking a default route. I decided to run "sudo dhclient br1" and now /etc/resolv.conf had the nameservers setup. I could ping the nameservers so routing is working.

But basically, my main issue is the tighter than tight firewall, that I have to run dhclient manually upon boot and the numerous dbus errors.

Adding the zentyal repository directly in /etc/apt/sources.list produces a duplicate error when I run sudo apg-get update. So I removed it again. I am therefore running with the current zentyal which does not seem compatible with ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 04:26:36 pm »
I added zentyal service in the firewall section (external to zentyal) to be able to control zentyal after a reboot, but the rule does not appear in the iptables. Can I expect my rules to show up in iptables? If yes, then the firewall module still isn't working well, at least on ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

galmok

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 03:47:02 pm »
Ok, I do see some rules appear in iptables when I enter them in zentyal firewall, so it isn't all bad. :)

But I cannot make external network access zentyal administration (port 443). In fact, I can't get any http or https access to neither zentyal nor to the internal network. I have added these rules:

Internal networks to Zentyal:
ACCEPT, any source, Zentyal Administration [this works. didn't work after reboot (connection established, but no data received)]
ACCEPT, any source, Desktop Services [this works. didn't work after reboot (connection established, but no data received)]

Internal networks:
ACCEPT, any source, dhcp (udp: sp:67, dp:68) [works. works after reboot]

External networks to Zentyal:
ACCEPT, any source, Zentyal Administration (port 443) [no connection. didn't work after reboot]
ACCEPT, any source, HTTP (port 80) [no connection. didn't work after reboot]

External networks to internal networks:
ACCEPT, any source, any destination, Zentyal Administration (port 443) [no connection. didn't work after reboot]
ACCEPT, any source, any destination, HTTP (port 80) [no connection. didn't work after reboot]

Traffic coming out from Zentyal:
- (no rules)

In iptables, I do see port 443/80 rules in the INPUT and FORWARD sections, but only iglobal matches packets. Why wouldn't forwarding rules match the 80/443 ports?