Author Topic: Access Database "network access" errors on share  (Read 3590 times)

tomfromdare

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Access Database "network access" errors on share
« on: July 20, 2012, 07:06:06 pm »
Anyone:

I'm getting desperate, as this problem has dragged on for a week, with the users twice saying the problem was fixed, and then it returned the next day.

I set up the v2.2 server with 2 1TB drives in RAID 1, with a single share, and in a folder on that share, put the Access database.  The users reported that if they let the custom-written (that worked fine on the previous Ubuntu Server installation) Visual Basic program sit unused for a minute, they got an error like "Run-time error '3043': Your network access was interrupted".

Originally we made the share guest access, and storing files there had no issues -- only the database.

I removed guest access, created an account for each user, gave them all read-write access to the share.  It seemed fine for a few hours, but gave errors eventually.  Win7 users couldn't copy files to the share, as it said there was no space, until I changed them from read-write to admin, and then file copy was OK again.

I added to the smb.conf file, for this share "oplocks = no" and when that didn't help, "level2 oplocks = no" "force group = datausers" and changed "force create mode" & "force directory mode" to 0770.  Again, it passed immediate testing, but later gave variations on "your network access was interrupted".

From my extensive searches for clues, I'm wondering if SELinux could be causing this problem?

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Tom
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:37:09 pm by tomfromdare »

tomfromdare

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Access Database "network access" errors on share
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 03:01:45 am »
UPDATE: These updates to the smb.conf, applied to the share in question:

oplocks = no
level2 oplocks = no
force group = datausers
force create mode = 0770
force directory mode = 0770

appear to have fixed the problem, but they were lost when I added a another user to the share.  Thanks to a helpful response on my other posting about "smb.conf", I believe the problem will prove to be solved on Monday, since I edited /usr/share/zentyal/stubs/samba/smb.conf.mas to add the first 3 lines and change the mode of the other two lines.

Will gladly close this topic if Monday proves to be uneventful...

christian

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:33:24 am »
Following is a bit difficult as you basically discuss similar issue in 2 different threads  ;)
Shall I merge?

tomfromdare

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 03:12:08 pm »
Moderator:

The other thread has been solved, but this Access database error lingers on.  The problem will appear to be gone for hours, but they've never gotten through a day with multiple users, WinXP and Win7, getting networking errors at some point.  They claim that it happened when only one user was using Win7, but I'm not convinced that no one else was using the database during that time.

I have applied all the smb.conf adjustments that I've found relevant in searches, and verified that the smb.conf file is keeping the changes after adding a new user or changing ACLs, so the solution from the other thread is working.

Any further suggestions would be very much appreciated, as all was working well on the previous server running plain Ubuntu Server.