Author Topic: How to backup apache and postfix configs?  (Read 1871 times)

-pekr-

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
How to backup apache and postfix configs?
« on: July 03, 2012, 09:53:59 am »
Hi,

we recently got some server outage, and it is running again. But as I never tried to use the backup of the config from the cloud, I finally found some time to look into it.

What I was surprised is, that there is /etc directory backup, but no Apache virtual domain configs, or eventual Postfix manual configuration change, is preserved.

I can understand that some manual changes to configs are not easy to deal with, but imo - Zentyal should either improve of how virtual domains can be set-up via GUI (I alredy put some suggestions, which were accepted for possible future enhancencement), or such configs should be backed-up automatically imo.

So - is there any way, of how can I include those configs into the archive, which goes to the cloud, so that I don't need to set-up backup module on Zentyal?

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: How to backup apache and postfix configs?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 10:17:34 am »
Hi,

configuration backup includes the internal configuration database used to generate the final configuration files, not these final files. Any customization made inside /etc/zentyal is also included. Other things are not included neither can be included without changing the source code.

-pekr-

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:52:47 am »
Well, a reasonable reply, but unsatisfactory indeed. IMO webserver is one major part of the server, and recently it allows almost zere config options. Suggestions were put into database, and even accepted. It would be enough to have one big field, to edit custom settings.

No problem for me going to console, and add my directive to the apache config, but in such a case, without such custom configs being included into the config-backup, it just makes claims like "easy ability to recover your server" not entirely correct. What is server config recovery good for, if all my domains are left in the water? You know the name of the directory, where those configs are being put, so you could easily include it into the backup.

Imo config recovery should be complete, if possible, so that the "only" thing admin needs to do, is to - upload data, and be done :-)

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:12:36 pm »
Yup, I agree. Im going to fill in a ticket so custom config stubs under webserver are stored too.