Author Topic: content filtering  (Read 7549 times)

icon

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
content filtering
« on: December 19, 2007, 02:03:29 am »
is there a way to install webmin or a dansguardian gui similar to ubuntu ce to administer the content filtering functionality in ebox esp in using a blacklist? I like this platform except for it's lack of implementation of the feature rich dansguardian.

paulk911

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: content filtering
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 07:41:46 am »
Hi,

Great product you have developed. I have been experimenting with ebox with the primary intent of using it for Content Filtering. I have it up and running using VMWare Server 1.04 with two (2) separately bridged network cards in order to allow the simulation of a proper network gateway and have Transparent Proxying available. I am using ebox_installer 0.11.2.

I have it working with the following enabled, running and apparently working
  • NTP local server
  • HTTP Proxy
  • DNS

The problem is that I can not enable the Transparent Proxy or the Content Filter to become enabled. I found a recommended installation how-to but it is for ebox 0.7 so things may have changed. (http://www.howtoforge.com/debian_ebox)

Page 4 shows a picture of the HTTP Proxy setup with what is possibly an Apply button under the Global Policy selection box (http://images.howtoforge.com/images/debian_ebox/30.png) but this is not available on my version.

The transparent Proxy Enable/Disable selection box has been replaced by a simple checkbox in this new version as well. Also the sub-options under the left hand menu have different options.

Can anyone hlep? How do I activate both the Transparent Proxy and the Content Filter?

Thanks in advance.
Paul K

BTW: The DHCP Server doesn't seem to work either.
Installation: I had problems with the installation starting with the DHCP Client saying it sucessfully acquired an address but no Default Gateway. I preservered without and eventually manually added IP addresses and Gateways to the two ethernet cards for initialisation. I added a Gateway using ebox but the routing table while working for the client machine is wrong showing no Default Gateway at the Linux command line (route command) just the two local networks.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:02:03 am »
icon:
  you can have a blacklist of domains for the HTTP proxy in eBox.
  In the left menu click in HTTP Proxy->Filter Settings and then in the tab 'Domains filtering'. There you can blacklist any domain.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:08:12 am »
paulk911:
  You can activate the transaprent proxy using the checkbox under the 'General Settings' heading. Remember to  enable the HTTP proxy service or you will not get nothing.
  To enable content filtering you must go to HTTP Proxy->Filter Settings. In those page you can change the threshold of the content filtering (by default is disabled)

Cheers,
  Javier

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 02:23:38 pm »
Paul:

Installation: I had problems with the installation starting with the DHCP Client saying it sucessfully acquired an address but no Default Gateway. I preservered without and eventually manually added IP addresses and Gateways to the two ethernet cards for initialisation. I added a Gateway using ebox but the routing table while working for the client machine is wrong showing no Default Gateway at the Linux command line (route command) just the two local networks.

You can list the default router by executing:

Code: [Select]
ip route ls table default

paulk911

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 11:13:23 pm »
Thanks Javi,
I tried that and it works and shows the correct default gateway. I have always used the "route" command which shows similar information but the default route does not show there. I am happy that this is set correctly since as I said the proxy server is working. :)

paulk911

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 11:46:02 pm »
paulk911:
  You can activate the transaprent proxy using the checkbox under the 'General Settings' heading. Remember to  enable the HTTP proxy service or you will not get nothing.
  To enable content filtering you must go to HTTP Proxy->Filter Settings. In those page you can change the threshold of the content filtering (by default is disabled)

Cheers,
  Javier

Here's how it works! As I said in my original quote I thought that something was missing to activate the transparent proxy and indeed I was correct!  ;)

I thought to try a different browser. I was using IE7 to access the ebox system and while most things worked this did not. I tried a different client system with W2K and IE6 with disasterous results getting an error page with something like "A very nasty bug has occured!" I downloaded and installed FireFox 2.0.0.11 and the extra "Change" button I was expecting was there below the Defalut Policy listbox! Now I can change things.  :)

So there is an additional step beyond the Click on the Transparent Proxy checkbox in that the lower Change button needs to be pressed then the Save Changes process needs to be followed.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 09:57:55 am »
I thought to try a different browser. I was using IE7 to access the ebox system and while most things worked this did not. I tried a different client system with W2K and IE6 with disasterous results getting an error page with something like "A very nasty bug has occured!" I downloaded and installed FireFox 2.0.0.11 and the extra "Change" button I was expecting was there below the Defalut Policy listbox! Now I can change things.  :)
Now the "Change"  button appears on IE6, at least, it was a little typo on HTML code. Next release, this bug will be fixed.

Thanks very much for reporting this!
My secret is my silence...

gangals

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 07:43:09 pm »
Sorry to add to the confusion, but I believe what icon and myself are wondering is that is there a way to import blacklists into dansguardian from ebox's web interface?

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 01:10:21 pm »
is there a way to import blacklists into dansguardian from ebox's web interface?

We haven't this feature right now.
However it will be easy to write a perl script which would read a domain list and , through the eBox API, add each one to the proxy's list

tatster

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 01:43:01 pm »
We haven't this feature right now.
However it will be easy to write a perl script which would read a domain list and , through the eBox API, add each one to the proxy's list

Hi,

This would be a great addition to eBox in my opinion.

Tatster.

amussero

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 08:31:17 am »
i m agree with you, it could be great to import a file with blacklisted domains inside.
should be nice for a new version of ebox.
thanks for this great software !

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 09:20:59 am »
A ticket in dev trac has been opened regarding to that question.

Follow the link: http://trac.ebox-platform.com/ticket/903

Thanks for your suggestions and improvements.
My secret is my silence...