Author Topic: Why is the Zentyal server downloading 5mb test files?  (Read 9385 times)

j2sc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Why is the Zentyal server downloading 5mb test files?
« on: May 16, 2012, 01:02:07 am »
Zentyal 2.2

I would like to know why the Zentyal server is downloading the 5mb file, 5 times a day, at http://download.thinkbroadband.com/?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:24:33 pm by j2sc »

j2sc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the Zentyal server dl'ing 5mb test files?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:39:53 am »
No one else has noticed this?
This is a default installation, a simple mail server with a couple of modules installed.
No one thinks it odd that a default Zentyal install is downloading 25mB from that site every day?
Why is this necessary?
Can the process be disabled?

Anyone?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:25:14 pm by j2sc »

christian

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:53:20 am »
I never paid attention to this. I will check on my side.
This could be because of internet access availability test...
or due to internal process on your side, not Zentyal itself...

This aside, in order to make your post easier to read especially for people not being English native speakers, may I ask you to change thread title and replace "dl'ing" with "downloading???

General comment (not for you only  ;) )
- this is a forum and there is not extra tax if too many characters are used: SMS type language should not be used
- international section is used by people with different mother tongue. Shortening words can be sometimes surprising for them (including myself  :D) so we have to make additional effort to avoid it  8)

innocenti_jr

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:54:54 am »
You can disable it via editing "/etc/cron.d/zentyal-network" -- just comment out the line containing "bandwidth-test.pl".
I cannot say what impact this will have. Results of the bandwith-test are stored in the eboxlogs database. Perhaps these values are used for QoS/Traffic shaping (which I don't use).
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 05:44:06 pm »
Hi there,

As innocenti_jr has pointed out, you can comment out the line. In future versions, its enabling will be configured. The script store the tests in the database and it is available to consult in Zentyal Cloud.

Best regards,
My secret is my silence...

j2sc

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the Zentyal server downloading 5mb test files?
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 06:30:55 pm »
Thank you for your responses.

As many Untangle users in countries like South Africa (?) discovered, an instance like an outdated Clamv version module that is constantly downloading unnecessary updates can get very expensive when their monthly bandwidth allotment is used up in two days.

It's good this is going to be made obvious and configurable in the gui.