Author Topic: Q: SAMBA Roaming Profile and how to change fileshare folder location & names  (Read 3836 times)

timeJunky

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hello,

first of all, thx to everybody working on this project!

As a newbie, I do have following question.

1) The folder names for sharing appears as _shareme in the smb.cnf. Where and how can I change this automatically created shares without '_' and located into other partion, pls?

2) For more comfortness, I changed filesharing to domaincontroller. Unfortunatelly, the shares (& user dirs) are not appearing as automatically mounted network drives on XP Pro (registry changes already done).
How can I activate roaming profiles with a netlogon generator in EBOX, pls? Is this possible?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 04:15:56 am by timeJunky »

timeJunky

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
(for others to safe time)

changing share-names:

cd /usr/share/ebox/stubs/samba
joe smb.conf.mas

cange line 907 to
Code: [Select]
[<% $group->{'sharename'} %>]

to change the drive letter for homes:
line 52
logon drive = H:
and
line 67 in smbldap.conf.mas
userHomeDrive="H:"
in smb.conf.mas is to include the scripts for roaming profiles. the example scripts are located in
/usr/share/doc/samba-doc/examples/logon/
(debian system)

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Thanks for you post explaining how to do it :)

timeJunky

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Life is a matter of give-and-take. ;)

jabster

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi. Thanks for the brief how-to there.

Can/should that underscore issue be reported as a bug?

I find it annoying, and I can certainly see someone less computer savvy being really frustrated at that. Not to mention your windows client users, who, for one box on a network, suddenly have to start putting "_" in somewhat random locations in file paths.

Help desk: "No, you can't search for "documents", you need to search for "_documents"."

Is there a reason that underscore is there?

thanks for the great product!

-john

aletheuo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I second the elimination of the underscore. I, too, have modified my smb.conf.mas file and eliminated the underscore.

But I suspect that the underscore's there to eliminate any potential for sharename conflicts.

For instance, someone unknowingly creates a group named ebox-internal-backups the share will be _ebox-internal-backups and will not conflict with the predefined share of the same name.

jabster

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Well, here's the easy solution to that: have a blacklist of share names you can't use, and if someone tries to create a share with that name, pop up an error and tell them to choose a different name.

I'd think that'd be pretty easy to implement. Says the non-coder. :)

That or change the system share name to "_ebox-internal-backups".

-john