Author Topic: Zentyal + Linksys E4200 DHCP  (Read 3134 times)

oosie

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal + Linksys E4200 DHCP
« on: September 28, 2012, 01:59:04 pm »
Hello,

I have the following set-up:

• Zentyal Server with 3 NICs: one NIC (1) is connected to my cable modem, one NIC (2) is connected to my wired LAN, and one NIC (3) is connected ti my Linksys E4200
  • Linksys E4200 serves as my wireless access point
  • NIC (2) gives out IP addresses in the 192.168.2.x range with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
  • NIC (3) gives out a single IP address for the wireless access point
  • Linksys E4200 gives out IP addresses in the 192.168.4.x range

My wireless devices can ping and access my wired devices, but not the other way around. I think this is due to Linksys E4200 being configured to be a DHCP server with firewall and all, just like how you would use the Linksys E4200 when directly connected to the cable modem. This prevents me to use iTunes Home Sharing across all my devices.

Should I make sure that Zentyal Server is the only DHCP server within my network in order to get this to work? Can I still use the MAC filter capabilities of Linksys E4200? Can I configure Zentyal's DHCP server to ensure the wired and wireless devices use a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0? (I would still have NIC (2) give out IP addresses in the 192.168.2.x range and NIC (3) give out IP addresses in the 192.168.3.x range.)

Thanks,
Jack...

christian

Re: Zentyal + Linksys E4200 DHCP
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 02:38:17 pm »
It really depends how you configure and use your Linksys device.
Standard implementation supposes that Linksys WAN interface is connected to Zentyal and devices connect to AP like if connecting to Linksys LAN.
In such case, on Linksys, IP on WAN interface is known by Zentyal but, depending on Lynksys conf, IP on Linksys LAN and Wifi might not be known.
You may have to add static route.

Another approach is indeed to use Zentyal DHCP (which I would suggest, not because this is better but because having, on same LAN, all DHCP configuration at same place eases management).
In such case, you will have to configure DHCP relay on Linksys.
Notice there is no need to change your netmask as you suggest in order to get connectivity.

oosie

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 12:01:22 pm »
Having all DHCP configuration on a single server sounds preferable to me as well. Now I'm not sure what you mean by "configure DHCP relay" on my Linksys. Would turning off the DHCP service on the Linksys suffice for this?

Thanks,
Jack...

christian

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 12:06:58 pm »
No. if your AP is connected to your LAN using its WAN interface (of course configures as "WAN"), you also need to ensure that Linksys AP will forward DHCP broadcasts otherwise clients will never see any DHCP server.
I don't remember whenever this option is available with std Linksys interface (I'm using dd-wrt) but I would be surprised if it's not.