Author Topic: Give a hand to a newbie like me... Designing a multi-site network.  (Read 1920 times)

priteshvarsani

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I have just discovered eBox after a recomendation from a friend. I have moderate linux experience but I am willing to learn more (I have only just ridden out my fear of command line!). I at the moment work as a network engineer but I do a lot of work for my cousin who owns a chain of bars and clubs in the UK.

My cousin is very dependant on computers for pretty much everything! At the moment, I have set up a untangle server on the main site, where then the other 3 sites connect to to form multiple site-to-site networks. On the main site is the "central" server (windows 2000 server sadly lol) running 3CX IP PBX system for all of the phones on all sites, a central file server and firefly DAAP server for sharing music. On all of the other "branch" sites are pfSense based routers used only for their openVPN capabilities. On every single site is a CCTV server as well (geoVision IP based) which have a HTTP interface open to the net for viewing of CCTV, also on every site are (expensive, proprietery) EPOS systems that are pointed to a file share on the CCTV server on their local network which houses a gigantic database file used by the POS system.

As you can probably imagine this network is very slow especially due to the unreliable consumer grade internet connections on most of the sites. Also this network is quite hard to  manage and on a weekly basis I am fixing some sort of problem!
In a few months time he will need to add another site to this network and is looking to re-invest in his little IT system. I was thinking about buying a new server on the main site and installing ubuntu it along with eBox. Then we will remove the onld untangle UTM firewall and the old "central" server and use the "main" eBox as the firewall and main file server. I will then delegate another separate server for the IP PBX system and the music sharing.  On all of the other sites i want to configure a single eBox to act as firewall and file server, and then connect these eBoxes to the main one.

I have used eBox on a test tube VM ad i have seen the the supreme managability of it and would love to be able to use it in this solution, I am just trying to be sure that eBox will be able to keep up with all of these tasks and whether i should consider anything else...
Also I wouldn't mind if anyone could make me up a quick a tutorial on how to do this and a small checklist, as at the moment i have limited experience with eBox and also I come from a windows based background (DON'T KILL ME! I am tryiing to move away from M$ afterall!).
Thanks for the help everyone in advance! Please excuse my poor english...