Author Topic: No credentials seem adaquate Creating Additional Domain Controller  (Read 3068 times)

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
I've just watched this video, where the presenter shows how to add an additional domain controller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iji5OynpVH0

I've tried every username/password credential that exists on my primary Zentyal domain controller for this form and the credentials fail. Sometime the credential won't fail, but it says cannot create user because the home folder for that user already exists.

Please advise!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 06:35:52 pm by Lonniebiz »

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: No credentials seem adaquate Creating Additional Domain Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 01:35:51 pm »
Man, the documentation for adding an additional domain controller needs to be more thorough to address more problems that an administrator may encounter.

For example, when setting up an additional domain controller, it will fail to replicate due to the fact that there is already an Administrator account on the new server you're trying to add as a an additional domain controller. It will give you an error saying that /home/administrator already exists.

Now it does tell you to remove it, but that is something you're apprehensive to actually do. To remove that folder I had to create a root password like this:
sudo passwd root

Then, I had to elevate my account to root using this command:
su

Then I navigated to the home directory:
cd /home

Then I removed the Administrator folder:
rm -rf Administrator

After this, I restarted file sharing on the primary domain controller, and then on my additional domain controller.

After all this, replication between the two finally occurred.

Are there any negative ramifications to the way I've done this?

If not, we really ought to address these steps in the official documentation.