Author Topic: Problem with virtual zentyal in KVM  (Read 2554 times)

spineffect

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Problem with virtual zentyal in KVM
« on: June 05, 2012, 11:32:56 am »
Hi,
We have a zentyal 2.2 (corrected) (kernel 2.6.32-38-server) on a server with 2 network cards. On this host system we have another zentyal running as a virtual machine with kvm. It is managed with the zentyal module “Virtual Machines”. Eth1 is connected with a bridge directly to the guest system. The host system has an ip within 192.168.111.x (eth0), the guest system one within 172.16.0.x (br1 to eth1)
The problem is, that the guest system crashes from time to time and we have no idea why. When it crashes you can’t connect to the guest, neither with the Zentyal-Manager nor with the “virtual machine manager” nor can we ping it. There is no pattern when it crashes. Sometimes it works for a week, then it crashes twice in half an hour. The next problem is, we also can’t shut the VM down, it simply does not react to anything (neither in the zentyal module nor in the vm manager). The only solution we found this far is to reboot the host system (which isn’t a real solution).

/etc/network/inferfaces
Code: [Select]
auto lo br1 eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface br1 inet dhcp
 bridge_ports eth1
 bridge_stp off
 bridge_waitport 5

iface eth0 inet static
 address 192.168.111.10
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 broadcast 192.168.111.255

iface eth1 inet manual

Does anyone know how to find the problem? We are completely lost, since we don’t even know where to start to look for the problem.
I hope i included all the necessary informations, if not just ask.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:03:42 am by spineffect »

robb

Re: Problem with virtual zentyal in KVM
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 06:41:25 pm »
Any logs on the guest? ( /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log)

spineffect

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 08:03:08 am »
Hi,
i made a mistake, our Zentyal version is 2.2 not 2.3. Sorry for the mixup, maybe you can move it back to the correct section.

Regarding the logs, i will post them asap

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 02:17:34 am »
You might be experiencing a now well known bug concerning LVM.  Is your VM stored on LVM?