Author Topic: zentyal-samba 3.2.7 upgrade issue  (Read 2503 times)

sangamc

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
zentyal-samba 3.2.7 upgrade issue
« on: October 25, 2013, 10:31:00 pm »
I attempted to upgrade my zentyal 3 domain controller to the latest version from the webui. The upgrade froze and the server stopped working. I then did a reboot and after waiting almosst 1/2 an hour for it to come up I then tried: apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. The system then told me that I must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

I ran the command, but the server is now stuck for over an hour at the line: 'Setting up zentyal-samba (3.2.7) ...'

It will not go any further than that. What are the correct steps to correct this issue? I am trying to prevent having to setup the entire domain again from scratch (if possible)

Let me know if you need any additional information. I would be happy to provide it.
Thanks

sangamc

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: zentyal-samba 3.2.7 upgrade issue
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 10:47:53 pm »
update: After a long time there was finally a change:

Reconnecting to redis server (1 try)... at /usr/share/perl5/EBox/config/Redis.pm line 467, <GEN> line 1.

Not sure what it means, but more information never hurt anyone i guess.

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 11:58:44 pm »
First of all, go to the command line and type:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade
If problems persist after reboot, take a look at this post:
http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=18179.30

sangamc

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 01:37:00 am »
unfortunately, looks like the server froze and is no longer responding. I will go back to the office and check on it tomorrow morning. I'll have more information then.

Thanks

sangamc

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 02:49:31 pm »
I was unable to gain access over the weekend so this morning was the first time I could restart the server. Since its a monday I'll have to wait until this evening before attempting to do the upgrade again. I will post the results if any progress is made.

Thanks

sangamc

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 11:54:09 pm »
what logs can I look at to see where this problem is coming from? Zentyal.log and the samba logs do not say much. I tried tailing the syslog, but I am not sure what to look for. Any pointers would be great

Lonniebiz

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 04:55:33 am »
There was another Samba update via the Zentyal web interface. I'm sure by now you are checking for these every day? So many Samba updates lately is a good sign that Samba is trying very hard to fix issues.

sangamc

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 02:02:55 pm »
I hope the update helps. I finally figured out that during the upgrade to zentyal-samba 3.2.7, the process stops on restarting zentyal-samba after the update is applied. Killing the restart process allowed the zentyal PDC to function, but a subsequent reboot killed the server completely and it will not start up any more.

Quite disappointed overall with Zentyal 3 stability issues. I can understand if I was experimenting in uncharted territory, but simple setup with minimal customization just blew up and forced me to inconvenience my customer while I rebuild them a server.
:(