Author Topic: [SOLVED] Issues after recent package updates  (Read 6257 times)

nontrivial

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Issues after recent package updates
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:20:54 pm »
Hello,

As requested I just updated some packages (mail, usercorner, users, dns) and now there are a couple problems. First, user corner is no longer working. When I go to the URL I get a 403 forbidden error. The second thing is every five minutes I am getting an email from cron saying: "/bin/sh: 1: /usr/share/zentyal-users/slave-sync: not found". I guess I am going to reboot the server (ala windows), and then spend my day trying to figure this out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
James
PS Bonus points for fixing the nightly "sh: 1: status: not found" email I am getting as well.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 05:31:04 pm by Sam Graf »

nontrivial

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Issues after recent package updates
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:40:56 pm »
OH, BTW, I just noticed that the mail, users, and groups section are entirely missing from the console as well. Installing them fails with the error: "zentyal-dns : Depends: bind9 (= 1:9.8.1.dfsg.P1-4ubuntu0.4+zentyal1) but 1:9.8.1.dfsg.P1-4ubuntu0.5 is to be installed"

Again, any help is appreciated. I am completely blown out of the water until this is resolved.

James

nontrivial

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 05:26:00 pm »
OK, I think what happened was ubuntu released a new version of bind9 which zentyal dns is not happy with. So in case anybody is experiencing this, this is what I did (as root):

cd /var/cache/apt/archives

dpkg --install bind9_1%3a9.8.1.dfsg.P1-4ubuntu0.4+zentyal1_i386.deb bind9utils_1%3a9.8.1.dfsg.P1-4ubuntu0.4+zentyal1_i386.deb libisccc80_1%3a9.8.1.dfsg.P1-4ubuntu0.4+zentyal1_i386.deb

dpkg --install zentyal-mailfilter_3.0.3_all.deb zentyal-mail_3.0.3_all.deb zentyal-users_3.0.6_all.deb zentyal-usercorner_3.0.2_all.deb

apt-get upgrade still indicated I need to update bind9, but I'm not because I think that's what got me in this mess in the first place.

Sam Graf

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:43:12 pm »
Thanks for sharing. I don't use apt for Zentyal updates and Zentyal showed no updates so wasn't sure what Ubuntu had released, but a list refresh in Zentyal shows several BIND-releated items as security updates. Hopefully not many people are doing automatic security updates; that could be a very unpleasant surprise when people come to work.

haunter250

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 06:26:52 pm »
I was one of those unlucky enough to have this happen. Spent all day rebuilding  :-[

robrepp

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:42:20 am »
Nice catch, nontrivial! I'm having the same issue after running the recent Ubuntu updates. Tried a manual install of the zentyal-dns pkg and got this:

zentyal-dns : Depends: bind9 (= 1:9.8.1.dfsg.P1-4ubuntu0.4+zentyal1) but 1:9.8.1.dfsg.P1-4ubuntu0.5 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Seems clear the zentyal-dns module has issues with the new bind9. Hoping for a quick fix. Your suggested dpkg commands didn't work for me (I had previously tried apt-get clean in an effort to fix the "broken" packages, must have cleared the old pkg away).

stuartiannaylor

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:08 am »
I did have two servers but forced samba due to a situation where I didn't have any time.

The ubuntu repo and zentyal repo are out of sync and the answer is a big no until its fixed.

Have two downed servers with no user module and can't even install from fresh.

What zentyal should be doing if they had any value to there community is to warn users of dns, users and samba to not do any updates until the situation is fixed.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:34:47 am by stuartiannaylor »

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 11:05:35 am »
Thanks for the warning, indeed the bind stuff showed up here also but did not install them yet, you guys just saved me a lot of trouble!
Let's wait for the dev team to follow up on this, in the mean time, can we post a sticky "warning" topic to prevent people from updating bind?

Cheers.

Edit: I've made a sticky topic in the Dutch section, don't know if it helps but better safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:18:46 am by Escorpiom »
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

RomanBacun

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 11:55:25 am »
zentyal-dns: Depends: bind9 (= 1:9.8.1. dfsg.P1-4ubuntu0.4 + zentyal1) but 1:9.8.1. dfsg.P1-4ubuntu0.5 is installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have put off (held) broken packages. I have the same problem.

Sam Graf

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 02:58:22 pm »
... can we post a sticky "warning" topic to prevent people from updating bind?

Stickied this. Hopefully people will see it. I fear, of course, that most users don't spend a lot of time here until after an issue arises. :(

My thanks to those users who are providing information.

stuartiannaylor

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 03:11:35 pm »
Sam throw a date up there so they can see its current.

Where is the community manager when you need one ?  ;)

Anyway this has me thinking we need a community RSS feed in the web-console where moderators can escalate a bug quickly.

It could just be a hidden forum with moderator access and we can view the results via RSS.

The forum for me due to international timezones is the first port of call and if bugs come in that validate your problem as an obvious bug. Then its time for trac, I don't like to flood trac so that it is concise and a good tool for the dev's.

I know I have said this before but we are all here because of Zentyal and Zentyal technologies.

We have a huge forum section on Zentyal Desktop which as far as I can make out doesn't even have any development.
In my opinion shouldn't have as proscribing a desktop as a only solution rather than giving the tools to cater for many distro's, this and has been a M$ mistake.
Why we have this huge section for an ill advised initiative is beyond me as for a start it doesn't really exist.

Then we have international boards that separates us into isolated islands of language. Personally I don't give a s*** where I am from or what language I read. I have chromium browser at the ready and it will translate all the languages into something that I can understand.

I am here because of the technology and everything is posted into one forum which in terms of intelligent data and data normalisation, fubar is the only term that comes to mind.

We have a logical structure that is represented by the technologies we use. That structure is already presented in a logical way via the documentation.

That logical structure should be replicated in every activity we use. Its that simple and it would return metrics and a huge amount of value to how we use and what we see of value.

It doesn't mean we have to lose any localisations it just means we need to use the full capabilities of this forum or another product if that is deemed the way to go.

The current forum is i18n capable and we can all still stay in groups of localisation but as child forums of the technologies we are interested in.
Depending on geodb data the forum will change to your localisation.

This way we can post against DNS and because we are all posting in particular forum this will highlight rapidly any problems we are receiving.

Also the forum search engine is geared to search by forum and section so you can get more concise results.

Then when it comes to Open Source and the bible on good software we seem to be over looking some key points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar#Guidelines_for_creating_good_open_source_software

6.   Treating your users as co-developers is your least-hassle route to rapid code improvement and effective debugging.
8.   Given a large enough beta-tester and co-developer base, almost every problem will be characterized quickly and the fix obvious to someone.
9.   Smart data structures and dumb code works a lot better than the other way around.
11.  If you treat your beta-testers as if they're your most valuable resource, they will respond by becoming your most valuable resource.
12.   The next best thing to having good ideas is recognizing good ideas from your users. Sometimes the latter is better.
13.   Often, the most striking and innovative solutions come from realizing that your concept of the problem was wrong.
19.   Provided the development coordinator has a communications medium at least as good as the Internet, and knows how to lead without coercion, many heads are inevitably better than one.

Number 9 is so obvious with this forum as its data structure is on a par with ishat, in the dumb stakes.

I don't think we need to change platform, I think its about time to utilize what SMF have to offer.
We need to intergrate things and stop adding separate and disparate functionality into the community site.

It needs someone with a bit of vision who has the interest of the community in mind whilst has the intelligence that the data capture of usage and interest is highly valuable commercial data for Zentyal.

Its not all that hard to accomplish and I am 44 and now totally bald, so I can't pull my hair out any more.

All I ask is for you to take a step back forget the past and come up with a good solution, as it isn't and its obvious.

Stuart 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:12:13 pm by stuartiannaylor »

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 03:50:25 pm »
Hi there,

The latest bind9 package with the zentyal patches are now in the zentyal 3.0 series PPA. This problem is fixed now.

We are thinking about preventing this problem from the future.

Best,
My secret is my silence...

Sam Graf

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 03:56:27 pm »
Thank you sixstone for the information.

nontrivial

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 04:55:38 pm »
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  bind9 zentyal-dns zentyal-mail zentyal-mailfilter zentyal-usercorner zentyal-users
The following packages will be upgraded:
  bind9-host bind9utils dnsutils libbind9-80 libdns81 libisc83 libisccc80 libisccfg82 liblwres80
9 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 6 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 1,435 kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,636 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

Are we sure this is fixed?

James

stuartiannaylor

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 04:57:46 pm »
Robb says he is testing it in the dutch forum. It would seem you will have to use google translate to see if our community manager has results.

If it was me I would trust sixtone.The Zentyal devs are pretty shit hot.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 04:59:28 pm by stuartiannaylor »