last year we seamed to have a bit of trouble finding our way in how to discuss the new version, how to determin included features and other sutch things.
in my view this lead to a somewhat unclear roadmap, in the short term, but a nearly non-existent one over a longer time;
- do we need to change this,
- and if so, how are we going to manage it.
- what is our current releasing scedule about and is that sufficient or even on par with reality.
- how to grade new idea's, technologies requests, how to keep balance
- do we need big changes and if (or when) so, how do we plan them in a way so that they dont slow down the entire product and its development.
but also non- technical questions:
- do we want to use the zentyal summit to talk about it future, future development and other sutch issues.
- how can we get people to prepare for sutch a debate, whould there be enought people interested in sutch a discussion.
i know that there are some really dificult questions to be answered here, but i strongly feal that we need to try to consider them in order to get a more solid view of the feature. not just about a possible 3.2 release but also a more clear distinction between released that include a new core (ubuntu version) 1.0 2.0 3.0 and those that dont 1.4 1,5 2.2 etc.
I would like this discussion to be expanded to the whole community. Feel free to comment and give your thoughts on how the community can chip in, in finding a way to features and additional functionality for future versions of Zentyal. Especially what should the process look like to come to a useful set of features that can be implemented, considering that:
Zentyal is a Small Business Server
The dev team of the company has limited time, so there is no way that every idea can be implemented
There are (still) no community developers that can do some work on popular features.
I think the main questions are:
- What features should be available in Zentyal Core
- What features should be available through an advanced howto in integrating them in Zentyal (LDAP)
- How do we 'measure' popularity of features
- How (what criteria do we use) do we select from the most popular features
I am curious what you all think.